No announcement yet.

GNOME 2 Fork MATE Desktop Aims For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since we can assume that Xfce and Cinnamon will be using GTK 3 and Wayland in the future, is there any niche that MATE serves or will serve that the two former options don't already?

Comment

Mate is great for older machines

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
      Since we can assume that Xfce and Cinnamon will be using GTK 3 and Wayland in the future, is there any niche that MATE serves or will serve that the two former options don't already?
      Yes. MATE is very desirable for older machines. A Pentium 4 2 GHZ with and AMD Radeon 1650 (R500) can run Cinnamon, but it isn't very responsive and cannot play 720P video. Running MATE the same machine will play 720P, hitting 100% CPU about 1/3 of the time, at about 90% CPU the rest of the time, and close enough to keeping up that setting framedrop in Mplayer won't cause the video to slideshow.

It might even be possible to run MATE on a Pentium 3 with no acceleration support so long as a version using X directly is used, or the option to do so retained. Something like DSL will run a LOT faster, but since Ubuntu Maverick can make a decent web surfer on a dumpstered PIII, there is a good chance that Mint with MATE can do the same, I plan to find out tomorrow.

I would say we are at least 5 years away from everyone having every computer they need to use suppot OpenGL2.0, even if the computer is from the dumpster.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
        Yes. MATE is very desirable for older machines. A Pentium 4 2 GHZ with and AMD Radeon 1650 (R500) can run Cinnamon, but it isn't very responsive and cannot play 720P video. Running MATE the same machine will play 720P, hitting 100% CPU about 1/3 of the time, at about 90% CPU the rest of the time, and close enough to keeping up that setting framedrop in Mplayer won't cause the video to slideshow.

It might even be possible to run MATE on a Pentium 3 with no acceleration support so long as a version using X directly is used, or the option to do so retained. Something like DSL will run a LOT faster, but since Ubuntu Maverick can make a decent web surfer on a dumpstered PIII, there is a good chance that Mint with MATE can do the same, I plan to find out tomorrow.

I would say we are at least 5 years away from everyone having every computer they need to use suppot OpenGL2.0, even if the computer is from the dumpster.
        Xfce and LXDE are better suited for older computers than MATE currently is, and Cinnamon fills the high end market, so I still don't really see the point of MATE.

Comment

IceWM is lighter yet

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
          Xfce and LXDE are better suited for older computers than MATE currently is, and Cinnamon fills the high end market, so I still don't really see the point of MATE.
          When I need maximum performance on a netbook or an older computer I use IceWM, but MATE is close enough for a lot of work and a lot easier
          for "end users" to work with. A lot of people miss GNOME 2, Mint was smart to fork it.

Fast in computers is relative. Machines get faster while code gets fatter, so desktops stay the same or slow down. Capability for games or video
          editing goes up, but general responsiveness does not. Fastest machine I ever saw in terms of opening programs was a Pentium III into which I had
          dropped an ancient 125MB hard drive with Windows 3.1 on it just to see what it would do. DSL was pretty responsive on an even older Pentium II laptop but did not have open drivers for my wireless sticks at that time (2009).

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
            Fast in computers is relative. Machines get faster while code gets fatter, so desktops stay the same or slow down. Capability for games or video
            editing goes up, but general responsiveness does not. Fastest machine I ever saw in terms of opening programs was a Pentium III into which I had
            dropped an ancient 125MB hard drive with Windows 3.1 on it just to see what it would do. DSL was pretty responsive on an even older Pentium II laptop but did not have open drivers for my wireless sticks at that time (2009).
            Xfce is right snappy on my (sure, by no means slow) A6 laptop with 16GB RAM and a SSD--from POST to DM in < 4s, and less than .5s from there to my desktop. ArchLinux, ftw!

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              Yes, metacity has compositing, but few people used it. However, if it's anything like xfce and uses Xrender, then you'll still get tearing. Have you tried running the compton compositor on top of MATE?
              XFCE can use compiz.

Also if you turn on :"Tear Free; AMD" and "Vert Refresh; Nvidia" you shouldn't see any ripples through your video.

Comment

Working...
              X