NVIDIA Opens Up SHIELD Gaming Operating System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
    The people on this server. Give a man a fish, and he'll complain that you didn't give him a fishing boat.
    Apparently you don't know how much of a clusterfuck ARM devices are due to the complete and total lack of standardization. They are not the same as standard X86 system.

See this from yesterday: Android AOSP Leader Quits Over Binary GPU Drivers

No OSS drivers, no sale.
    Last edited by Kivada; 08 August 2013, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      Apparently you don't know how much of a clusterfuck ARM devices are due to the complete and total lack of standardization. They are not the same as standard X86 system.

See this from yesterday: Android AOSP Leader Quits Over Binary GPU Drivers

No OSS drivers, no sale.
      I dunno. Seems that there are quite a few ARM devices selling these days.

Comment

Originally posted by pankkake View Post
        Is that a joke?
        Yes, it was a joke. I was poking fun that the first comment wasn't "yay, opensource code and the possibilities that it opens!". Instead it was "I want more! F-U-Nvidia! (Linus Flipoff)".

It was a very american attitude, to be given more when before you had none (I am an american btw). How many other game system makers give you the OS code for god's sake? This is definitely a nice start!

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Hmmm, I wonder if there is exfat source code in there since it has a card slot.
          Shield uses NTFS (read-only) or FAT32. Nvidia is working on bringing full NTFS and exFAT functionality.

Comment

Yes, it was a joke. I was poking fun that the first comment wasn't "yay, opensource code and the possibilities that it opens!". Instead it was "I want more! F-U-Nvidia! (Linus Flipoff)".
            No, it was not. If the article claims that the whole OS will be opened it is a valid question if that includes a formerly closed driver. There was no demand at all.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              I dunno. Seems that there are quite a few ARM devices selling these days.
              Yes, and they are locked down black box devices with vendor specific mods to the base OS and require a completely custom build for each device.

Comment

It was a very american attitude, to be given more when before you had none (I am an american btw). How many other game system makers give you the OS code for god's sake? This is definitely a nice start!
                I was not complaining. I was just asking, what was actually released.

P.S. Thanks God, I am not an American.
                Last edited by makson; 08 August 2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

It was a joke. I laughed.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    Android again? No, thanks.
                    Yeah, I feel MSDOS was better than this crap. I stopped developing apps for it due to the numerours bugs in the base OS (mainly memory and graphics related). The "developers" behind it have open bugs for years in the bug database. This crap should die. As much as I hate Apple, their OS is much more polished.

Comment

Android is openSource...that alone is more valuable than all other crap os together.

Comment

Working...
                      X