Radeon DPM Power Management Gets Fixed Up Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it _is_ working?

Just to save you some time: Android uses a modified Linux kernel!
    Better get a windows phone now, before you have to move all your stuff again

Comment

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
      I know mplayer works, but mplayer is not HTPC application just a player and I was looking for HTPC hence my question. One of vpdau features missing in radeon atm or at least was missing month ago is interop and that is reason XBMC does not work properly. So if you know HTPC program that works using something else that mentioned feature please let me know
      What's wrong with xbmc? Have you tried it with radeon cards? Do you have to use VDPAU (strange choice in gpu decoding on an ati device?)
      Download the latest copy of openelec, I've got a couple of ati htpcs (discreet and an e-350) that work very well - They've done more for ATI than ATI have in the HTPC market!

Comment

Originally posted by runrun View Post
        What's wrong with xbmc? Have you tried it with radeon cards? Do you have to use VDPAU (strange choice in gpu decoding on an ati device?)
        Download the latest copy of openelec, I've got a couple of ati htpcs (discreet and an e-350) that work very well - They've done more for ATI than ATI have in the HTPC market!
        XBMC works fine with catalyst 13.6beta1/xorg-server 1.14.2/kernel 3.10.4 on AMD E-350 with XVBA, but a thread was about open source radeon driver therefore I asked does XBMC work with radeon/vdpau...

Comment

Originally posted by runrun View Post
          It wasnt a strange chioce. VDPAU is already well supported on linux. It made sense to implement something that has a wide array of support.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$
            fglrx doesn't work on all Radeon cards. Such as mine.
            This is completely incorrect.

Catalyst DOES work on all Radeon cards under Linux. If you use an old enough OS.

It is exactly the same on Windows. If you use a 5-year old kernel, Catalyst works. Just like on a 5-year old Linux distro.

Comment

I am using it right now since I am on Ubuntu because I made the mistake of making my android development platform on Ubuntu instead of Windows. Now moving everything back to Windows will take a while and until then I am forced to use the glorious Linux that you all seem to love so much.
              please move your android tooling to windows or mac faster that way you can finally get the hell away from here , please make a thread when you leave for real so we can celebrate we can have threads clean of your absolutely useless insights

Comment

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
                XBMC works fine with catalyst 13.6beta1/xorg-server 1.14.2/kernel 3.10.4 on AMD E-350 with XVBA, but a thread was about open source radeon driver therefore I asked does XBMC work with radeon/vdpau...
                There are some development builds of openelec floating around with all the oss amd hacks applied - Last time I tried it, seemed to work pretty well apart from some horrendous issues with (from what I remember) interlaced h264/mpeg2. afaik this is a known problem with uvd?

Comment

I quitted that thread. And it's still fun to see the Linux community marvel at the advances of the Linux kernel completely ignoring the fact that the same features exist in Windows for more than 10 years.

But of course Linux is superior. It runs on supercomputers so it must be!

And even after it is finally brought to Linux, it still doesn't work. Windows > Linux anytime anywhere!
                  Are you talking about the same Windows I know? Last time I checked, Windows couldn't do anything without proprietary drivers, and needed them to gain its supposedly high speed. Also, I'm seeing with DPM the same issues with suspension and resuming that I saw with Catalyst (on Windows 7) 1 year ago, so it's more like 10 months, not 10 years

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                    "Nobody cares... only the..."

Now we know why you're so angry.
                    Have you ever tried if the open source driver works for you or just assumend it wouldn't, because it was created by those "Stallman fanbois"?
                    AFAIK Stallman fanbois can't use the Radeon open source driver, since it relies on proprietary firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                      AFAIK Stallman fanbois can't use the Radeon open source driver, since it relies on proprietary firmware.
                      It's actually the chips that rely on proprietary firmware/microcode, not the driver. The microcode runs on simple state machines or processors on the chip, not on the CPU.

Most modern chips need microcode to operate (heck, even the memory controller is heavily microcoded these days), the only question is whether the microcode images are stored in ROM or RAM on the chip -- we happen to store them in RAM so the images need to loaded at startup, either by distributing the images with the OS or by storing the images in flash on the card.

Storing the images in flash on the card removes the requirement to include them in the distro, but it also means you need a larger flash ROM on the card, which in turn costs the board vendors more (ie "kiss of death").
                      Last edited by bridgman; 08 August 2013, 03:12 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X