Radeon DPM Power Management Gets Fixed Up Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    It's actually the chips that rely on proprietary firmware/microcode, not the driver. The microcode runs on simple state machines or processors on the chip, not on the CPU.

Most modern chips need microcode to operate (heck, even the memory controller is heavily microcoded these days), the only question is whether the microcode images are stored in ROM or RAM on the chip -- we happen to store them in RAM so the images need to loaded at startup, either by distributing the images with the OS or by storing the images in flash on the card.

Storing the images in flash on the card removes the requirement to include them in the distro, but it also means you need a larger flash ROM on the card, which in turn costs the board vendors more (ie "kiss of death").
    well i doubt bo$$ and company even know the difference between RAM and ROM, let alone why a microcode is needed and why even stallman recognize it don't affect openness or users rights, so will probably get a reply like this "ohh bridgman said it do have closed microcode LOL stallman fanboys blablabla Windows is better hahahaha"

but nice for reference of those interested in real facts instead of trolling

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      It's actually the chips that rely on proprietary firmware/microcode, not the driver. The microcode runs on simple state machines or processors on the chip, not on the CPU.

Most modern chips need microcode to operate (heck, even the memory controller is heavily microcoded these days), the only question is whether the microcode images are stored in ROM or RAM on the chip -- we happen to store them in RAM so the images need to loaded at startup, either by distributing the images with the OS or by storing the images in flash on the card.

Storing the images in flash on the card removes the requirement to include them in the distro, but it also means you need a larger flash ROM on the card, which in turn costs the board vendors more (ie "kiss of death").
      That's an educating post for all of us! Thanks man!!

Hey where are Bozley's posts you all quoted?? Did I miss any episode? Why I can't view them??

Don't tell me that he is banned? I used to make a R.I.P speech about his suicide at an older thread and now I see that he is back from OS Proprietary Hell trolling funnier than ever!!
      And his posts are now gone!
      I am more than jealous to you all there for being able to quote Bozley's last posts...

Is there a funeral ceremony scheduled? Where can I get info??
      Last edited by djdoo; 08 August 2013, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by runrun View Post
        There are some development builds of openelec floating around with all the oss amd hacks applied - Last time I tried it, seemed to work pretty well apart from some horrendous issues with (from what I remember) interlaced h264/mpeg2. afaik this is a known problem with uvd?
        I asked upstream and the radeon/vdpau is still no go for Ati cards. One still needs to use catalyst/xvba see here

Comment

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
          I asked upstream and the radeon/vdpau is still no go for Ati cards. One still needs to use catalyst/xvba see here
          As a User i don't care. Other Players don't have a problem with the radeon vdpau. so i blame the xbmc ppl.
          Last edited by Nille; 13 August 2013, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
            Has anyone from xbmc actually atriculated what "core features" are missing from the open source radeon driver? I don't recall seeing any bugs filed for xbmc problems with the open source driver.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              Has anyone from xbmc actually atriculated what "core features" are missing from the open source radeon driver? I don't recall seeing any bugs filed for xbmc problems with the open source driver.
              They want the vdpau interop GL extension.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                They want the vdpau interop GL extension.
                Why? This was needed with XvBA because OpenGL is required for efficient rendering but that's not the case with VDPAU which includes a presentation API. When we took a look at this a couple of months ago, we identified and fixed some bugs which we thought were preventing XBMC from using VDPAU as is. We subsequently concluded that XBMC doesn't need GL interop. We could be wrong but I haven't heard anything concrete from the XBMC developers. I did follow a couple of links in this thread to the XBMC forums and all I see is that Radeon is not good enough for unspecified reasons. Please explain what you need and we'll take a look.

Comment

twriter looks like there is a communication problem since month. Both sides shrugs and only the users talk to each sides .... That can't be working.

Comment

Originally posted by Ra22moan
                    You should know that you're a tester when you enable it.
                    Not sure if are a Spam bot ... But, the Testers report to both sides that its not working and both sides decline not to talk to each other. A user can't tell exactly there the problem is or understand why its not working. he see only thats not working on software A but on software B so software A has a fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                      Not sure if are a Spam bot ... But, the Testers report to both sides that its not working and both sides decline not to talk to each other. A user can't tell exactly there the problem is or understand why its not working. he see only thats not working on software A but on software B so software A has a fault.
                      Yeah, it's a spambot...
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X