Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: gNewSense 3.0 Switches From Ubuntu To Debian

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,194

    Default gNewSense 3.0 Switches From Ubuntu To Debian

    Phoronix: gNewSense 3.0 Switches From Ubuntu To Debian

    For those concerned more about code licenses and the free nature of software over the quality, richness, and features of a Linux distribution, gNewSense 3.0 is now available. The gNewSense 3.0 release now supports three architectures and has switched from an Ubuntu base to now using Debain Linux...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQzMTE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Am I the only one who thinks "gNewSense" sounds like "nuisance"?

    Anyway, good move on their part. Switching to Debian should make their work a little easier, since they follow the DFSG.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chenxiaolong View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks "gNewSense" sounds like "nuisance"?

    Anyway, good move on their part. Switching to Debian should make their work a little easier, since they follow the DFSG.
    I always thought the resemblance to "nuisance" was intentional.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    360

    Default

    For those concerned more about code licenses and the free nature of software over the quality, richness, and features of a Linux distribution, gNewSense 3.0 is now available.
    Sums up FOSS ideals pretty well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    73

    Default

    it's Lemote YeeloOng

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    For those concerned more about code licenses and the free nature of software over actually being able to use their computer.
    There, fixed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Thanks for making news of this, and very much thank you for writing a neutral and objective article. Will install gNewSense on my laptop, and everything just works, and more, there is nothing I need to install out of the repos.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Thanks for making news of this, and very much thank you for writing a neutral and objective article. Will install gNewSense on my laptop, and everything just works, and more, there is nothing I need to install out of the repos.
    Let me know how that goes considering gnewsense has almost zero support for any type of wifi chips due to not having binary firmware blobs.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    Let me know how that goes considering gnewsense has almost zero support for any type of wifi chips due to not having binary firmware blobs.
    Everything just works except 3D-acceleration, which I don't need. It does not have Wi-Fi. The laptop is about more than 10 years old and serves me as an emergency backup laptop.

    I had another laptop with working Wi-Fi and 3D acceleration. It had NVIDIA graphics, but I don't remember what Wi-Fi chip it had. Unfortunately I don't have it anymore.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I never understood their reasoning to not accept closed firmware.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •