Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: gNewSense 3.0 Switches From Ubuntu To Debian

Default gNewSense 3.0 Switches From Ubuntu To Debian

Phoronix: gNewSense 3.0 Switches From Ubuntu To Debian

For those concerned more about code licenses and the free nature of software over the quality, richness, and features of a Linux distribution, gNewSense 3.0 is now available. The gNewSense 3.0 release now supports three architectures and has switched from an Ubuntu base to now using Debain Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQzMTE

Am I the only one who thinks "gNewSense" sounds like "nuisance"?

Anyway, good move on their part. Switching to Debian should make their work a little easier, since they follow the DFSG.

Quote Originally Posted by chenxiaolong View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks "gNewSense" sounds like "nuisance"?

Anyway, good move on their part. Switching to Debian should make their work a little easier, since they follow the DFSG.
    I always thought the resemblance to "nuisance" was intentional.

For those concerned more about code licenses and the free nature of software over the quality, richness, and features of a Linux distribution, gNewSense 3.0 is now available.
    Sums up FOSS ideals pretty well.

it's Lemote YeeloOng

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    For those concerned more about code licenses and the free nature of software over actually being able to use their computer.
    There, fixed.

Thanks for making news of this, and very much thank you for writing a neutral and objective article. Will install gNewSense on my laptop, and everything just works, and more, there is nothing I need to install out of the repos.

Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Thanks for making news of this, and very much thank you for writing a neutral and objective article. Will install gNewSense on my laptop, and everything just works, and more, there is nothing I need to install out of the repos.
    Let me know how that goes considering gnewsense has almost zero support for any type of wifi chips due to not having binary firmware blobs.

Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    Let me know how that goes considering gnewsense has almost zero support for any type of wifi chips due to not having binary firmware blobs.
    Everything just works except 3D-acceleration, which I don't need. It does not have Wi-Fi. The laptop is about more than 10 years old and serves me as an emergency backup laptop.

I had another laptop with working Wi-Fi and 3D acceleration. It had NVIDIA graphics, but I don't remember what Wi-Fi chip it had. Unfortunately I don't have it anymore.

I never understood their reasoning to not accept closed firmware.