Android AOSP Leader Quits Over Binary GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
    Yes, but ubuntu phone is able to use the android blob driver. Also, these devices don't have bioses that can let you boot from external memory and install a new operating system. Someone has to unlock the damn thing linke what CWM does by some black magic i don't realy understand. Also, even if you get to install a mainstrem linux on them, the device's "periferals", such as giroscopes, cameras, modem, gps and so on also need drivers.

Obviously there is some way to accomplish all of the abov, CM is proof of it, but that only happens on very popular devices which have high developer interest. Thus, unless intel wins some really high profile designs, I wouldn't expect much.
    the main problem is the graphics cards drivers.. for the rest i found that the guys at CyanogenMod and XDA are quite capable of making a phone running almost everything, but the graphic drivers are a show-stopper. For god sake, the guy isn't even asking for true open source drivers, all he's asking is that qualcomm give license to third party to be able to release drivers.

Comment

Binary

You use a Binary Bios everyday. Pretty sure they don't include the source code to AMI / Phoenix bios'.
      What's the difference in a Bios and a GPU driver?

Getting lost out in the weeds limits your path to the mountain.

On the other hand, I could understand if he just quit because the Dalvik/java language was driving him bonkers.

J2ME was a hell of a lot easier than the Android SDK. Had an old Sanyo Katana that kicked ass with a Qualcomm GPU in it on OpenGL.

l8r

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
        You use a Binary Bios everyday. Pretty sure they don't include the source code to AMI / Phoenix bios'.
        What's the difference in a Bios and a GPU driver?
        Your bios is very tiny and does a small set of functions. Your graphics driver is extremely complex and takes tens of megabytes, and the functions it does expand every day.

Comment

Working...
        X