Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD/ATI X.Org Driver Brings New GPU Support

Phoronix: AMD/ATI X.Org Driver Brings New GPU Support

Version 7.2.0 of the xf86-video-ati DDX driver was released this morning. While the X.Org drivers aren't too exciting these days with most of the really great work happening within the DRM or Mesa/Gallium3D drivers, there's still an interesting number of changes to xf86-video-ati 7.2.0 for Radeon GPU hardware support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

just waiting for these Drivers to get on Pair to the Catalyst in Performance and a good setup be nice too like the aticonfig or a GUI

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      just waiting for these Drivers to get on Pair to the Catalyst in Performance and a good setup be nice too like the aticonfig or a GUI
      3D is at like 80% of performance, 2D is WELL beyond Catalyst. Power management and UVD is in if you are using Mesa 9.2 and Kernel 3.11 (i know, neither has been released yet. I'm just saying.)

Your last point however, I do agree on... driconf is no replacement for the official catalyst and Nvidia settings UI.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        3D is at like 80% of performance, 2D is WELL beyond Catalyst. Power management and UVD is in if you are using Mesa 9.2 and Kernel 3.11 (i know, neither has been released yet. I'm just saying.)

Your last point however, I do agree on... driconf is no replacement for the official catalyst and Nvidia settings UI.
        + Mesa's only at what OpenGL 3.3? the Catalyst is at OpenGL 4.3
        Last edited by LinuxGamer; 07 August 2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Can you really back up such an absurd claim? Especially for RadeonSI hardware, most games have been broken. By games I mean real games, like Steam games, not horribly unoptimized open source shooters.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
            Can you really back up such an absurd claim? Especially for RadeonSI hardware, most games have been broken. By games I mean real games, like Steam games, not horribly unoptimized open source shooters.

RadeonSI is a special case, its development was a year late from release. I was mostly referring to R600g since that's the driver most people get nailed with unless they specifically bought a new card.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

RadeonSI is a special case, its development was a year late from release. I was mostly referring to R600g since that's the driver most people get nailed with unless they specifically bought a new card.
              RadeonSI is what needs the most work and the OpenSource dont run as well on a 6950 and up cards

Comment

Someone please give r600 and r700 some love, backport Grigori's EG optimizations.

Comment

The open source driver still isn't viable for serious/competitive gaming, but it's getting there. Good seeing so much AMD news lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Newfie View Post
                    The open source driver still isn't viable for serious/competitive gaming, but it's getting there. Good seeing so much AMD news lately.
                    You clearly havent used to OSS drivers yet. If you had you wouldnt have ever thought to say that. The fact is that Ctalyst is horribly broken and the OSS drivers arent. If you were truly serious about gaming you'd be helping the development efforts on the OSS front because it is the only viable option at all for radeon hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X