Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with switching/booting to Mobile Radeon (8000M)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with switching/booting to Mobile Radeon (8000M)

Hey,

I recently bought a laptop with a Radeon HD 8770M (Mars XT) card and Ivy Bridge integrated graphics. I was told that since Mars was actually a rebrand of Tahiti (which is a Southern Islands/7xxx architecture), support for it would be in good shape. However, I can't boot to anything other than the integrated graphics. Is there any way to force loading the Radeon driver at boot?
    By the way, I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 with kernel 3.11-rc4, the latest Mesa/Xorg builds from the OIBAF PPA, and all the latest Radeon microcode.

Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
    Hey,

I recently bought a laptop with a Radeon HD 8770M (Mars XT) card and Ivy Bridge integrated graphics. I was told that since Mars was actually a rebrand of Tahiti (which is a Southern Islands/7xxx architecture), support for it would be in good shape. However, I can't boot to anything other than the integrated graphics. Is there any way to force loading the Radeon driver at boot?
    By the way, I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 with kernel 3.11-rc4, the latest Mesa/Xorg builds from the OIBAF PPA, and all the latest Radeon microcode.
    You'll need to make sure the radeon card is turned on with either the bios or vgaswitcheroo before the driver can load. Also, this is probably a mux-less system so it's likely there are no display actually connected to the radeon so it can only be used for offscreen rendering with xserver 1.14.

Comment

Working...
    X