No announcement yet.

The Performance Penalty Of Xfce/Xubuntu On XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canonical is just very desperate, because they have nothing to show so they do some cheap parlor tricks to impress the fanboys. Call me again, when Unity 8 with desktop shell is working properly on Mir with the majority of programs supporting it natively.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      If true, then i guess it's a good way to get some beta testing of their modesetting code in Mir.

Still doesn't seem like a good reason to switch the whole default DE in Ubuntu over to XMir, though. That kind of thing should be handled by a beta program.
      Ubuntu is a Beta Program....

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        If true, then i guess it's a good way to get some beta testing of their modesetting code in Mir.

Still doesn't seem like a good reason to switch the whole default DE in Ubuntu over to XMir, though. That kind of thing should be handled by a beta program.
        my only question remaning is if we can use a mir windows on top of xmir + mir, like... ubuntu 13.10 will be runing the DE on xmir can we open a mir window inside the DE runing xmir? wouldnt that put the mir window hiding behing the DE since the DE is runing like a window in full screen?
        unless they did some kind of hack to make it happen :/

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
          why is mir a joke? i dont see any technical thing about it wrong, so sir i think you are the joke
          It's wrong because it's unnecessary. There's no technical reason for it to exist. And its existence causes a huge amount of problems for everyone involved, because now people have to deal with another display system, instead of everything being simple and straightforward. Before Mir, everything was as simple as: everyone uses X -> transition from X to Wayland -> everyone uses Wayland. It would have been much better for everyone, we could all have pooled our resources into improving one display system. But now, we get this mess because one distro has to be different just for the sake of being different...

Technically, Mir is nothing but a copycat of Wayland, and it wouldn't even be possible in the first place, without all the groundwork done by Wayland developers. It has no technical advantage whatsoever. Even XMir is just a carbon copy of XWayland, with the relevant interfaces changed.

Comment

my only question remaning is if we can use a mir windows on top of xmir + mir, like... ubuntu 13.10 will be runing the DE on xmir can we open a mir window inside the DE runing xmir? wouldnt that put the mir window hiding behing the DE since the DE is runing like a window in full screen?
            What "Mir Windows" are you talking about? No toolkits support Mir at the moment, other than QtUbuntu which they use for their mobile apps. They aren't even working on toolkit support, because they don't care that much about the desktop at the moment. They want their mobile adventure to be a success. Guess why they are pulling this cheap "let's run everything on compatability and call it a native port" trick.

Last edited by blackout23; 06 August 2013, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              Mir is an abomination, kill it with fire.
              Where. Is. The. Like. Button.?

Comment

You can't, you only interact with the X server inside Mir. That's the main reason I say it's pointless: you see none of the features that Mir might bring.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  It's wrong because it's unnecessary. There's no technical reason for it to exist. And its existence causes a huge amount of problems for everyone involved, because now people have to deal with another display system, instead of everything being simple and straightforward. Before Mir, everything was as simple as: everyone uses X -> transition from X to Wayland -> everyone uses Wayland. It would have been much better for everyone, we could all have pooled our resources into improving one display system. But now, we get this mess because one distro has to be different just for the sake of being different...

Technically, Mir is nothing but a copycat of Wayland, and it wouldn't even be possible in the first place, without all the groundwork done by Wayland developers. It has no technical advantage whatsoever. Even XMir is just a carbon copy of XWayland, with the relevant interfaces changed.
                  mir is different from wayland, mir is a API while wayland is a protocol and mir can handle 3d inputs like leap motion while wayland can not (last time i checked.)
                  also mir is under canocial CLA wich means they can relicense it to fit the needs of the drivers. and making a wayland app running under mir shouldnt be hard, just make a WMir ( like XMir ) and u can run any wayland under mir ( i dont know if it would work on MWayland ( mir on wayland) becuase it cant handle 3d input unless the software dosent require it.
                  if this is done right there should be nearly no overhead from this.
                  i might be wrong i dont deal with drivers.

Comment

mir is different from wayland, mir is a API while wayland is a protocol and mir can handle 3d inputs like leap motion while wayland can not (last time i checked.)
                    So I'm sure you are going to show us a working example of a native Mir desktop working with leap motion....
                    Still don't get it how their CLA is better than Wayland's MIT license. X11 is MIT, too and AMD/NVIDIA have no problems writing blobs for it.
                    Last edited by blackout23; 06 August 2013, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                      You can't, you only interact with the X server inside Mir. That's the main reason I say it's pointless: you see none of the features that Mir might bring.
                      if thats true thats a big problem... because it means only ubuntu 14.10 (wich brings unity 8 that will run on mir and not xmir) will be able to run mir aplications
                      we end up stuck with Xmir for 2 years on the LTS untill the next LTS comes :C
                      unless they plan to backport unity 8 to 14.04 after its stable? ummm...

Comment

Working...
                      X