Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Performance Penalty Of Xfce/Xubuntu On XMir

Phoronix: The Performance Penalty Of Xfce/Xubuntu On XMir

With there being experimental XMir-based Xubuntu 13.10 images available for the Xfce desktop spin and a request going out for testing, I ran some Phoronix performance tests to compare the XMir performance penalty for 2D and 3D workloads...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you, I will go with X11.

Comment

The results are as expected. Using Mir here doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Mir is an abomination, kill it with fire.

Comment

Longterm, will mir or wayland have substantial performance gains? Simpler and faster? Or are they looking for a cleaner way to maintain current X specs?

Comment

these benchmarks are worth nothing... mir doseny have bypass yet so its point less to benchmark it...
            the final version is gonna fix that untill then all this are useless benchmars to fed wars and get more trafic :P

Comment

Originally posted by canezila View Post
              Longterm, will mir or wayland have substantial performance gains? Simpler and faster? Or are they looking for a cleaner way to maintain current X specs?
              They already do have performance gains. There are even performance gains when using XWayland, the way it's intended to be used (single applications and not DEs). There are and there will never be any performance gains when using entire DEs on XWayland/XMir.

Comment

stupid benchs

this is in dev yet lol ofc the perfomance is not good as normal X. do the same with wayland, ups wayland not works i forgett

Comment

Why do we have to deal with Mir at all?? I don't get why there are benches and such a hype around it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                    Why do we have to deal with Mir at all?? I don't get why there are benches and such a hype around it.
                    Because it's a potential candidate to the successor of X.org. Right now it's a race between wayland and mir, and while mir is younger and less supported by the community, it's catching up really fast.

Comment

Working...
                    X