• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by verde View Post
    in this case TEARING is fucking everywhere. [..]
    With (newer) Intel Graphics, using SNA and
    Code:
    Option "TearFree" "true"
    I have no tearing (desktop, video, openGL) with xfce.

Tested on Xubuntu 13.04 (default installation, with and without compositing)
    and minimal installations of Debian Jessie (testing), openSUSE 12.03 and Arch Linux with xfce.

If people happen to have a similar setup and experiencing tearing, give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Unlike the maintainers of some other derivatives (*cough* Kubuntu! *cough*) they realize that anything but Mir has absolutely zero future on an Ubuntu base.
      Xubuntu on Mir has absolutely zero future. Before it was an OK distribution to recommend for use on older PCs, given that it comes with Xfce by default. If this goes through, it will be better to just use openSUSE or Mageia for that.

Comment

Wow, why anyone would use this over, say, Debian with XFCE is beyond me. I say good luck to them and I wish them all the best if they're hell bent on carrying on after the Mir fiasco. But man, this is a pointless and thankless endeavour on the part of the devs.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
          still its everywhere out of the box
          Compositing is disabled by default in Xfce.

Comment

Its cute that this makes people so mad.

Comment

Its nice to see more distros adopting MIR, but i do have to say mir is not ready for release yet, hopefully they will fix the remaning issues and finish the multi monitor suport before they release 13.10.
              issues i have with mir is:

text is jumpy.
              games dont render well.
              cant use multi monitor.

fix those and mir is ready to go.

Comment

Someone recorded a video of themselves using this and posted it on G+.

"This is a quick test of XMir on Xubuntu 13.10 alpha on a Lenovo Thinkpad X220. I used have a lot of tearing on the same machine using Xubuntu. But XMir now looks really smooth with and without compositing. You can see the scrolling and window movment are butter smooth. "
                This is a quick test of XMir on Xubuntu 13.10 alpha on a Lenovo Thinkpad X220. I used have a lot of tearing on the same machine using Xubuntu. But XMir now l...

Someone else also posted this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4g31weG-SM

It looks nice, a lot more responsive than xfce on xorg.
                Last edited by mmstick; 06 August 2013, 08:28 AM.

Comment

I experiencied totally flickering

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Xubuntu on Mir has absolutely zero future. Before it was an OK distribution to recommend for use on older PCs, given that it comes with Xfce by default. If this goes through, it will be better to just use openSUSE or Mageia for that.
                    I wasn't talking about recommendations, I was talking about technology.
                    Beginning with 14.04 running Xorg directly will no longer be supported by Canonical, nor will be Wayland. XMir, however, will be supported for quite some time.

As for recommendations: I recently started recommending Korora, a Fedora remix (not a fork) with defaults targeted towards common users. It gathered some positive reviews recently.
                    Last edited by Awesomeness; 06 August 2013, 08:53 AM.

Comment

An entirely pointless endeavour. Running an entire desktop on top of something designed as a legacy compatibility layer is stupid and will only create problems. Mir is never going to happen outside of Shuttleworth's fantasies, get over it and get with the program, which is Wayland - the future of Linux, both on desktop and mobile.

Comment

Working...
                      X