Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drago View Post
    Chromebook Pixel has coreboot for sure.
    And AFAIK you cannot do anything with it.

In an ideal situation (and if i understand coreboot correctly) you would be able to flash your kernel of choice (and update it automatically) and have it boot directly or give you the option of a tianocore EFI or bootloader if you want fancier stuff.

The pixel could have been the "perfect" linux laptop. But no. Noone cares about desktop linux.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      Thows are in completely different market segments. It's like saying Hummers should start comparing with segways.
      It would be really sweet with a dead cheap 5 volt single-board computer to use as a server.
      But not one based on the legacy ARMv6 architecture.

Comment

The Chromebook Pixel can run any standard Linux distro, since the needed kernel patches have all been merged now.

My biggest gripe with it is the hardware:
        Only 4 GB RAM (non-upgradeable)
        Only 32 GB internal storage
        Lacks USB 3.0, so no possibility to connect fast external storage either.

Considering that the Pixel costs $1300 and up, this is simply not par for the course.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

In an ideal situation (and if i understand coreboot correctly) you would be able to flash your kernel of choice (and update it automatically) and have it boot directly or give you the option of a tianocore EFI or bootloader if you want fancier stuff.

The pixel could have been the "perfect" linux laptop. But no. Noone cares about desktop linux.
          It is posible to compile the linux core as a coreboot payload, but you need a bios large enough to contain the kernel, and updating is anything but automatic. A better option is having coreboot jump directly to the on disk kernel, a bios without cruft if you like.

Comment

It is posible to compile the linux core as a coreboot payload, but you need a bios large enough to contain the kernel, and updating is anything but automatic. A better option is having coreboot jump directly to the on disk kernel, a bios without cruft if you like.
            FILO then is the payload you are looking for. It has file-system support, suports the multiboot (ELF boot) standard, but doesn't provide any BIOS interfaces. Configuration is a matter of setting nvram variables.

Comment

Considering the most interested party in Linux, Torvald, is using a Pixel has his primary laptop, I am pretty sure it is currently the most "Perfect".

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
                Considering the most interested party in Linux, Torvald, is using a Pixel has his primary laptop, I am pretty sure it is currently the most "Perfect".
                His workflow or use of the thing is probably quite different to that of joe average user. I would probably need more storage, someone else more ram etc etc. Also last time i checked you had to put it in dev mode or something to be able to install whatever you want on it and there was some waiting every time you wanted to boot it.

Comment

His workflow or use of the thing is probably quite different to that of joe average user. I would probably need more storage, someone else more ram etc etc. Also last time i checked you had to put it in dev mode or something to be able to install whatever you want on it and there was some waiting every time you wanted to boot it.
                  You have to press ctrl+l within 30 sec to boot. This can be solved if you build your own coreboot bios image.

Comment

You have to press ctrl+l within 30 sec to boot. This can be solved if you build your own coreboot bios image.
                    Ok. But can you use your own coreboot bios image in Pixel?? If no its annoying to have to do that every time you boot.

Comment

Ok. But can you use your own coreboot bios image in Pixel?? If no its annoying to have to do that every time you boot.
                      I believe so

Comment

Working...
                      X