Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring Fedora's Boot Performance

Phoronix: Measuring Fedora's Boot Performance

Last month we had measured Ubuntu's boot performance via the open-source Bootchart utility and had done this on all Ubuntu releases between Ubuntu 6.06 LTS and the latest development build at the time for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. From this testing we had found the boot time to decrease with each official release and the maximum disk throughput increasing. With Fedora 9 Sulphur due out next month, we have done this same boot performance testing on the Fedora side with Core 4, Core 5, Core 6, 7, 8, and 9 Rawhide.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been running Ubuntu forever, but been meaning to give Fedora a try recently. I have not like earlier Fedoras, but haven't tried since around 6 or so.

I'm planning to give it a partition and a few weeks next month. Looking forward to trying it out. Although the boot time is a little woeing, ouch. If the suspend support can be better than Hardy that will compensate a little.

Comment

it is important to note that f9 is switching to upstart just as ubuntu. this is one of the reason why there is such a mess at the moment. but i think, together red hat and canonical will boost upstart (just look at ubuntu-brainstorm - upstart is at a high position) so that booting is finally getting faster. upstart promises a lot of possibilities, it seems really fantastic.
      Scott James Remnant, the lead developer of Upstart, described the possible future of Upstart in a post to the developer e-mail list. Most notable is that the post was initiated by discussions betwe…

look at the roadmap...i would like to see an operating system that only loads services that it acutally needs.
      why launch cupsD when you don't have a printer? and so one...more hotpluggin hotness
      i'm really excited. btw: suse seems to switch to upstart, too.(rumours...)

Comment

I am really surprised by the outcomes of the numbers.
        I've never had my system take almost a full minute to boot up. The only time I did was when I had my network setup improperly and it waited on a 20 second time out for my wireless network card.

Comment

Fedora 7

You can't be serious, that you take only one measurement. Fedora 7 waited idle on your DHCP server for 17 seconds. So please correct your statistics from 87s to 70s or run F7 again.

For the reference here is more statistics:
          http://www.harald-hoyer.de/linux/boo...tro-comparison

Comment

Working...
          X