Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZFS File-System Tests On The Linux 3.10 Kernel

Phoronix: ZFS File-System Tests On The Linux 3.10 Kernel

Using the latest ZFS On Linux support, the ZFS file-system was benchmarked from the Linux 3.10 stable kernel and compared to the Linux file-system competition...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Back in like 2008 it was a big deal, now ZFS is pretty much irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: ZFS File-System Tests On The Linux 3.10 Kernel

Using the latest ZFS On Linux support, the ZFS file-system was benchmarked from the Linux 3.10 stable kernel and compared to the Linux file-system competition...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQyNzk
      it strikes me that these benchmarks look pretty synthetic, do you have any idea if there's some way to test something more akin to real usage performance? i've been playing with zfs and lz4 compression on ssd, and i compared zfs and md/ext4 for zfs, and i noticed that zfs cpu usage can be pretty high, and performance is generally lower, but in real use a lot of difference seems to disappear, and lz4 compression is nice

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        btrfs is still buggy and runs out of disk space when there is still free disk easily on small partitions (like on ssd)

lvm's snapshotting isn't great

zfs is a bit "big", and a bit slow but it's stable and does tend to work pretty well.

the zfs snapshotting and zfs send / zfs recv is great. it has lz4 compression as option now, it's having forward momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          Let us know when there's something equivalent in Linux.

Comment

I have been using ZFS(freebsd) on a few servers at home and work for about 2 years.
            I enjoy working with it and it has saved my butt a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Let us know when there's something equivalent in Linux.
              You mean like this ZFS on Linux test? I guess we should let you know now.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                You mean like this ZFS on Linux test? I guess we should let you know now.
                Which exactly proves the point that ZFS is still most definitely relevant, since there are no viable competitors on Linux.

Seriously, the Phoronix forums are worse than YouTube comments, which is pretty sad.

Comment

Originally posted by mercutio View Post
                  btrfs is still buggy and runs out of disk space when there is still free disk easily on small partitions (like on ssd)

lvm's snapshotting isn't great

zfs is a bit "big", and a bit slow but it's stable and does tend to work pretty well.

the zfs snapshotting and zfs send / zfs recv is great. it has lz4 compression as option now, it's having forward momentum.
                  The btrfs handling of free space is still a bit problematic (a bit, as in if you really work on it, you can still cause situation where you need to manually clean journal), but if you use mixed allocation trees then you can pretty much use the space up to last cluster for storing data. So if you really care for that, you can. Of course you will pay for that in performance (I have no idea by how much). For very small volumes mkfs.btrfs does that automatically anyway, so you should be OK with newly created file systems.

btrfs have had send/recv functionality for, I think, 2 kernel releases. lz4 shouldn't be too hard to add to btrfs too...

Originally posted by pdffs
                  Which exactly proves the point that ZFS is still most definitely relevant, since there are no viable competitors on Linux.

Seriously, the Phoronix forums are worse than YouTube comments, which is pretty sad.
                  Oh, Please! Shine on our unworthy minds, pdffs, You forever brilliant beacon of knowledge and enlightenment!

Comment

keep up the good work!

Originally posted by pdffs View Post

So, why don't you say something relevant and worthy. If you have nothing to say why not fuck off!

I believe phoronix has started not as that much expert in the field of benchmarking and reviewing at least like Anandtech. But they care enough to improve and it is one of the top 10 sites I wont miss reading their articles. I think with more help from the community, phoronix will become defacto standard of benchmarking/reviewing open source world.

Comment

Working...
                    X