No announcement yet.

Steam's Hardware Survey Shows Not Much For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what bugs me personally is the absence of AAA titles.Ok indie is good but people want more. I often find myself browsing the linux steam catalog to find something worth buying but most of the games are to simplistic for the non-casual gamer

Comment

There is one thing bothering me about this survey.

My pc is dual boot, openSUSE 12.3 en windows. ( and there are more gamers with this configuration )
      Depending on which os I have loaded, I will be a linux or windows user.

I have been asked once to participate, and I am still happy I had openSUSE booted, but I have read many times on the steam forums, people stating they got the survey on windows, although they spend most of there time on Linux.

And what about wine ?

When we look at the benchmarks, only now AMD is catching up to the windows drivers.
      That is not helping either.

Then the availability of games, although still growing, at the moment most games still only run on windows.

I am optimistic though, because of steam a few windows users try Linux, and some stay.

My only fear is Valve giving up too soon.

When most games have Linux versions, and the graphics drivers being faster then on Windows, it should attract more gamers.
      Linux is free, to download and I suspect allot of the gamers will be interested in a few more fps.

You need win 7 or 8 for directX 11, this is far less of an issue with openGL, and porting games that already support openGL is far more simple.
      And what I also learned from the nvidia presentation, openGL runs on more operating systems then on just windows, and is this is interesting for companies, who want their games publicised on more platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
        My only fear is Valve giving up too soon.

Valve is fully committed to linux with steam. As windows closes tighter and trying to become more like Apple, and Valve not wanting to be caught behind their walled gardens they have to bet on linux. Plus the Steambox will run linux so dont worry about their commitment!

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
          Valve is fully committed to linux with steam. As windows closes tighter and trying to become more like Apple, and Valve not wanting to be caught behind their walled gardens they have to bet on linux. Plus the Steambox will run linux so dont worry about their commitment!
          Valve isn't the problem. But what (the desktop) Linux as a gaming platform needs to succeed, are the other major publishers.

Comment

Once we get Wayland and proper EGL driver support from Nvidia+AMD, Linux will be many times better as a gaming platform. It will reduce the overhead, and improve performance considerably.

Originally posted by johnc
            What is the incentive to leave Windows? What does Linux do better such that it would tempt somebody to come over?
            Lots of things. Microsoft conspires with NSA, and Windows is riddled with DRM, spyware, security holes and bloat. With security and privacy issues getting so much publicity thanks to Snowden, more people are bound to seek alternatives to Windows that give them better privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Most people wont switch over.
              Linux have less game and in most cases worse gaming performance.
              This is not necessarily the case. It depends more on graphics drivers than anything else, but with the Nvidia blob, the performance is comparable. Linux even pulls ahead in some cases because it is generally a more efficient operating system than windows.

Comment

There are still very few games to play on Linux. Give me New Vegas, Skyrim, Witcher 2, Arma 3, Sins of a Solar Empire and I will remove Windows immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Most people wont switch over.
                  Most people have Windows, and they are okay with that.
                  Most people don't know about Linux, and don't care about Linux and see no reason to switch to Linux.

Windows works for them.
                  They have no compelling reason to switch to Linux.
                  Linux have less game and in most cases worse gaming performance.
                  Switching is uncomfortable and requires them to learn new stuff.

Even if Linux had all the games Windows had, most people would still not switch.
                  Even if Linux was faster than Windows, people still wouldn't switch.
                  I can't speak for most people but gamers would.
                  If they don't care about a few fps then they would not overclock.
                  Or use crossfire or sli.

If they would not care then why on the steam forums are people reporting to have more fps then on windows ( with nvdia )

And most gamers are used to dealing with problems. ( yes on windows )

Further more we need to educate people.
                  We have allot of android users who do not realise they already use Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                    There are still very few games to play on Linux. Give me New Vegas, Skyrim, Witcher 2, Arma 3, Sins of a Solar Empire and I will remove Windows immediately.
                    I am optimistic W7 is my last windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
                      I am optimistic W7 is my last windows.
                      Dito. It's funny how MS is making DX 11.2 exclusive to Win 8.1 just to try and move people over, they did the same with Vista and DX 10. I have had enough of it. I might miss out on a game or two by not switching to new Windows versions and stay more and more in Linux, but that is already the case with PS/Xbox exclusive games and by now enough games are being released for Linux that I barley ever boot Windows any more.

Comment

Working...
                      X