Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 107

Thread: Steam's Hardware Survey Shows Not Much For Linux

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,657

    Default Steam's Hardware Survey Shows Not Much For Linux

    Phoronix: Steam's Hardware Survey Shows Not Much For Linux

    Valve's Steam Hardware Survey has been updated for July 2013 and it indicates not much for Linux in the way of change. The Linux gamer base using Steam remains at just over 1%...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQyNzY

  2. #2

    Default

    We did a bit of a deeper look here http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...l-above-1.2221

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liamdawe View Post
    You don't need to ask 100% of the users to get the full picture. That's how statistics work. You can actually prove (mathematically) that this is true. Of course there is always an error margin, but you will have that too, if you count anyone, because you cannot guarantee that you counted everyone correctly + those, who don't want to be count, etc. pp. (also who do you count and how active do they have to be?). So you just ask 1k - 3k persons (randomly) and get the same result.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    457

    Default

    1% userbase looking at the same context as 3 months ago.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Kansas.
    Posts
    261

    Default

    For gaming I'm just about to build a new computer that I plan to set up as a duel boot.
    I'm hoping that I'll be able to do most of my gaming and stuff in linux and not have to go to windows except for the occasional game.


    My build:
    fx 8350
    HD 7870

    Hey AMD, because of your open source driver efforts (especially power-save) made me decide to buy. :-D

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ua=42 View Post
    For gaming I'm just about to build a new computer that I plan to set up as a duel boot.
    I'm hoping that I'll be able to do most of my gaming and stuff in linux and not have to go to windows except for the occasional game.


    My build:
    fx 8350
    HD 7870

    Hey AMD, because of your open source driver efforts (especially power-save) made me decide to buy. :-D
    If you want to play, go nvidia. I'm sorry, their open efforts are great, but you'll regret going AMD (for gpu, for cpu it's a great pick). I know I did.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    747

    Default

    Funny to see that Arch Linux (Linux 64-Bit) is the most popular non-Ubuntu distro and even has more Steam users than Mint. Not to bad for a distro that doesn't aim to be userfriendly and popular. We already know that Other is 100% Linux. When Steam showed every distro other was left with 0.02%. http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...y-distros.1845

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    If you want to play, go nvidia. I'm sorry, their open efforts are great, but you'll regret going AMD (for gpu, for cpu it's a great pick). I know I did.
    Well, i have a fx-8320 and a radeon 7950 gpu and I have not regretted it a bit. I am gaming L4D2 and TF2 and Dota2 almost daily...Everything works perfect!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    If you want to play, go nvidia. I'm sorry, their open efforts are great, but you'll regret going AMD (for gpu, for cpu it's a great pick). I know I did.
    Why give money to someone who is working against Linux and FLOSS? No, go AMD and/or Intel all the way.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
    You don't need to ask 100% of the users to get the full picture. That's how statistics work. You can actually prove (mathematically) that this is true. Of course there is always an error margin, but you will have that too, if you count anyone, because you cannot guarantee that you counted everyone correctly + those, who don't want to be count, etc. pp. (also who do you count and how active do they have to be?). So you just ask 1k - 3k persons (randomly) and get the same result.
    I disagree, i believe all surveys like this are heavily flawed (since if you only survey such a small amount you could easily miss out most of the Linux users just because it's such a small group), especially Steam's, have you seen the bug report about it not even showing up for people on Linux? It has happened to me, I'm on Steam everyday and am yet to see it, logged in once on Windows in the last month and got it (the same day i was logged into Steam on Linux right before and directly after - no survey).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •