No announcement yet.

Unity 8 Is Now Available For Testing In Ubuntu 13.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh God, these Ubuntu-haters are sooo stupid...

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    na Mir's trying to Sabotage Desktop Linux
    any ways it's not going to be hard for them to maintain downstream so why put it into the Main Code Base at all when it's going to be Mir Only if you even look at the patches you can see that most if not all of them are going to be Mir/Ubuntu only and has a Canonical ? on it
    Some people that have no clue about free software, believe that adding a 'Copyright' symbol on the code will somehow make it unfree.
    That is, these people really believe that free software is software in the public domain. Oh, the horror!

Let's try again: free software deeply needs copyright in order to work. Without copyright, the software would be public domain and people could easily take and not release any advancements to the code. Mir is licensed under GPLv3 which is good.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Someone should just fork the Unity repo and make it a wayland compositor.
      That would troll the shit out of them.
      i 100% thank we need to fork it to Wayland whos ready to get there hands Dirty? we also can remove all the Code we don't like?

Comment

i 100% thank we need to fork it to Wayland whos ready to get there hands Dirty? we also can remove all the Code we don't like?
        crack-on - fork it on github. Start the restructuring of the code.

When done - shout, we'll all come and help out with the testing.

Good luck.

Comment

I might try to give a hand, but I know mostly C (not C++) and have no experience on this kind of project. Sounds like fun, though.

If we are going to do this, I think the way to go is to provide build switches for them. One must be able to build such features, if compatibility is expected. But if there is a good reason not to (e.g., adware enabling APIs), there should be a way to disable them (and IMO, disabled by default).
          Last edited by mrugiero; 03 August 2013, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Why is unity8 shown in a window? Is it due to the incompleteness of Mir, or does it not work on Mir, yet?

Comment

Working...
            X