• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    What saddens me is that the USA ...
    Sigh.

Sorry if I brought this on.

I'm from Northern Europe, rather well educated and all too well aware about the past and current shortcomings (OK, an understatement there) of the militaristic, religious and rightwing USA, but after decades worth of deep involvement with the "People's Republic of China" and their quest for Lebenraum, several wars and ongoing border military incursions and centrally controlled internal, yes, oppression, I'm sorry to say that your rose-tinted view of the PRC is, well, severely lacking.

Not that I personally blame you since it was first Nixon and then Clinton who, thanks to Kissinger's new plan for world order and big western investors/shareholders, "rehabilitated" the PRC and made it part of Apple's etc. supply line.

It takes some time and effort, but you can still read about the PRC's real history since the party took over in 1949. Of course there are no more manchus left and "south-mongolians" are a dying breed, but some Tibetans and Uighurs are still trying to hang on to their ancestral lands, languages, customs and religions against all odds, and yes, genocidal oppression.

Now, the party handbook (it was... leaked decades ago!) has taught paid and unpaid regime loyalist to bring up native americans (and aboriginees etc.) to try and kill every english-language debate in public forums, and theoretically they have a point (all violent colonialism really is wrong!) , but they're only trying to deflect the fact that the PRC is still very actively and violently pursuing their "racially supremacist" long-term Lebensraum policy. And our western (and the rest) goverments are quietly giving them winks and nods due to corporate/commercial, um, convenience.

But apologies again for taking the bait. Maybe my (geek) friends are more conscientious than average (albeit not "left-wing" for chrissakes), but despite all of USA's screwupness (just Manning and Snowden for example, and our american friends really should stand up there for everyone's sake!) even the USA has nothing on China when it comes to sheer scale of brutality, indoctrination and large-scale genocide that keeps happening on there, even against many of their own "han" people.

But keep on learning China's communist party -formalized "mandarin" and its simplified script and maybe you too will some day have great business opportunities under their benevolent future mandate. Or whatever will float your very own boat.

Comment

my wallet is burning waiting for that jolla phone, i feel a painful need to give them my money

Comment

What saddens me is that the USA (for example) invades Iraq (several times), kills 100K+ Iraqis and is considered "democracy", tries (and succeeds) to organize coups around the world (including Iran, Ukraine, Georgia etc etc) spies on all people it has access to inside the USA and outside USA, kill anyone with drones around the world without trial, trumps its own Constitution, has 100+ military bases around the world and is still considered "democracy", while pour China who hasn't started a war with anyone for a long time is considered an "oppressive regime" because its people are so pour they (like many Mexicans in the USA) are willing to work a lot for limited amounts of money.
        The difference is that Americans VOTE (and by definition choose) for all those things while the NKans (that curaga mentioned) don't. And USAians reap the outcome of their polices. (ie 9/11 etc.) Democracy has nothing to do with the way a nation behaves.

As for the jolla phone i want to see the dimensions of the thing. The prototypes look rather big and the big bezels spoil it for me.

Comment

What saddens me is that the USA (for example) invades Iraq (several times), kills 100K+ Iraqis and is considered "democracy", tries (and succeeds) to organize coups around the world (including Iran, Ukraine, Georgia etc etc) spies on all people it has access to inside the USA and outside USA, kill anyone with drones around the world without trial, trumps its own Constitution, has 100+ military bases around the world and is still considered "democracy", while pour China who hasn't started a war with anyone for a long time is considered an "oppressive regime" because its people are so pour they (like many Mexicans in the USA) are willing to work a lot for limited amounts of money.
          Phoronix Linux Forum.......

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
          Sigh.

I'm from Northern Europe, rather well educated and all too well aware about the past and current shortcomings (OK, an understatement there) of the militaristic, religious and rightwing USA, but after decades worth of deep involvement with the "People's Republic of China" and their quest for Lebenraum, several wars and ongoing border military incursions and centrally controlled internal, yes, oppression, I'm sorry to say that your rose-tinted view of the PRC is, well, severely lacking.

Not that I personally blame you since it was first Nixon and then Clinton who, thanks to Kissinger's new plan for world order and big western investors/shareholders, "rehabilitated" the PRC and made it part of Apple's etc. supply line.

It takes some time and effort, but you can still read about the PRC's real history since the party took over in 1949. Of course there are no more manchus left and "south-mongolians" are a dying breed, but some Tibetans and Uighurs are still trying to hang on to their ancestral lands, languages, customs and religions against all odds, and yes, genocidal oppression.

Now, the party handbook (it was... leaked decades ago!) has taught paid and unpaid regime loyalist to bring up native americans (and aboriginees etc.) to try and kill every english-language debate in public forums, and theoretically they have a point (all violent colonialism really is wrong!) , but they're only trying to deflect the fact that the PRC is still very actively and violently pursuing their "racially supremacist" long-term Lebensraum policy. And our western (and the rest) goverments are quietly giving them winks and nods due to corporate/commercial, um, convenience.

But apologies again for taking the bait. Maybe my (geek) friends are more conscientious than average (albeit not "left-wing" for chrissakes), but despite all of USA's screwupness (just Manning and Snowden for example, and our american friends really should stand up there for everyone's sake!) even the USA has nothing on China when it comes to sheer scale of brutality, indoctrination and large-scale genocide that keeps happening on there, even against many of their own "han" people.

But keep on learning China's communist party -formalized "mandarin" and its simplified script and maybe you too will some day have great business opportunities under their benevolent future mandate. Or whatever will float your very own boat.
          wait this is a Phoronix Linux Forum? is it not? why are we talking about the GOV? and why do you Say USA China and not the US government or the Chinese government? you act if you're talking about the People who have no power over the government this is a Phoronix Forum too?
          but you say you're "rather well educated"?
          Last edited by LinuxGamer; 02 August 2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Hard corners

Their phone has hard corners like the Lumia. Hard corners are uncomfortable hold. They might as well throw their phones straight into the trash as far as I'm concerned.

But thanks for putting Linux on phones I guess. Maybe someone can port it over to a decent phone from another manufacturer.

Comment

Finland - ice cool!

anyone else noticed that the coolest things are made in Finland? i.e. Linus/Linux... Jolla...

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                not yet, even so threis experimental support for RDP and realVNC is interested in a wayland port but is X through ssh there is no equivalent yet.

but don't worry most DE will work with wayland and X11, so stay in the XCB backend until wayland for network is defined[i think is better outside wayland personally and i think it should be provided for the toolkit which is the appropiated level]
                The toolkit level is absolutely the wrong place for network support. Why would you even think that? What if you want/need to use some ancient Motif app or something? And why should Qt, GTK, etc all have to reinvent the wheel? Maybe not having network transparency built into Wayland is a good idea, maybe not, but either way, the toolkit is the wrong place for remote support!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz View Post
                  Their phone has hard corners like the Lumia. Hard corners are uncomfortable hold. They might as well throw their phones straight into the trash as far as I'm concerned.

But thanks for putting Linux on phones I guess. Maybe someone can port it over to a decent phone from another manufacturer.
                  "hard corners"? that is your main/only complaint? Man, if that was my only issue with it, I'd be laughing! Software issues aside, the whole "hardware KB" and "capacitive touch screen" issues are a lot more fundamental than details about how they round their corners or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
                    Sigh.

Nor can you blame me since I'm neither from the USA nor China. But since you brought up the rosy view of history and militarism: how about the America's overwhelming militarism in the world, how about it killing most people in the world, how about it waging most wars in the world? How about Clinton acknowledging creating/funding Al-Qaeda? When the USA creates a terrorist group it's ok? And speaking of history - slavery and racism is the history of the USA, and of course genocide - it killed all the indians and those who survived are put in concentration camps - reservations. How about Britain waging war with China to sell drugs "the opium wars"? How come since the USA invaded Afghanistan heroin production skyrocketed to 90% of world's supply? How about being friends with Saudi Arabia and Kuwait (big USA military base) where it's ok to stone someone to death or cut the head off with the sword? The USA is also the only country who parched hundreds of thousands of people (Japan) with atom bombs, and even more people, this time with napalm, in Vietnam.
                    You certainly have little to no knowledge about geopolitics since you think in terms of "the good guys and the bad guys".
                    Last edited by mark45; 02 August 2013, 06:26 PM.

Comment

OT

Boy, I can just see this thread is going all kinds of good places :-/

Comment

Working...
                      X