Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Is Back To Needing NVIDIA GPU Dumps

Phoronix: Nouveau Is Back To Needing NVIDIA GPU Dumps

The Nouveau driver project is back to needing reverse-engineering data dumps on select NVIDIA graphics processors, which will help in some new re-clocking work. If you're just a Linux desktop user but wanting to help out this reverse-engineered NVIDIA driver project, providing MMIOtrace dumps is a great way to contribute...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

The Nouveau driver project is back to needing reverse-engineering data dumps on select NVIDIA graphics processors, which will help in some new re-clocking work. If you're just a Linux desktop user but wanting to help out this reverse-engineered NVIDIA driver project, providing MMIOtrace dumps is a great way to contribute...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQyNTg
    I've got an older laptop with an 8600M GT. I'll dust it off tonight and fire it up.

Comment

Re: NVAA/NVAF traces

Thanks for this little coverage Michael! There is one thing I like to clarify: I'm specifically looking for traces of NVAA and NVAF cards. Not all mobile gpu's from the 8 and 9 series that carry the 'NVAA' or 'NVAF' codename, instead just the ones labelled mGPU. Our wiki has a page called CodeNames that list some marketing names for these both chips. When unsure what chip codename a certain card has one could also boot (a live distro) with nouveau as the driver. Dmesg will list the codename, as will xorg.0.log.
      Having said that, many thanks in advance! And Kamikaze: we have traces for this card, which is not an NVAA/F, but an NV8x. But thanks anyway!

Comment

Most of the GPUs he wants dumps of are bumpgate-affected and essentially dead pieces of hardware.
        If he hurries he might be able to better support the last few still living 8400M and 8600M but he really has to hurry. Those GPUs tend to die like flies.
        Last edited by anybody; 31 July 2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Oh well... I've got an NVAC (9400m in a macbook pro), but no NVAA or NVAFs.

Comment

Originally posted by RSpliet View Post
            Having said that, many thanks in advance! And Kamikaze: we have traces for this card, which is not an NVAA/F, but an NV8x. But thanks anyway!
            Thanks for the info. I won't bother with providing the 8600M dump then.
            Just looked up your CodeNames page ( link here for the lazy: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames/ ). I don't know of anyone with those NVAA/NVAF GPUs

Comment

Is there any HOWTO on how to get mmiotrace ubuntu live cd without installing whole ubuntu?

Comment

Working...
              X