Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 230

Thread: Canonical Posts 15 Mesa Patches To Support Mir

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,133

    Default Canonical Posts 15 Mesa Patches To Support Mir

    Phoronix: Canonical Posts 15 Mesa Patches To Support Mir

    Canonical is back to trying to get upstream Mesa/Gallium3D to support their Mir Display Server. In their current form, the support comes across 15 patches for bringing up the Mir EGL platform...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQxNTc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    204

    Default

    I hope the Mesa team rejects the patches.

    Canonical gave a big fuck you to the Linux community for going with their own inhouse display server which causes fragmentation.

    Mesa should give a big fuck you to Canonical by rejecting their Mir patches.


    Sorry Canonical, but Wayland is the future.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I think they'll accept the patches, i don't know why. Call it a sensation.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post
    I hope the Mesa team rejects the patches.

    Canonical gave a big fuck you to the Linux community for going with their own inhouse display server which causes fragmentation.

    Mesa should give a big fuck you to Canonical by rejecting their Mir patches.


    Sorry Canonical, but Wayland is the future.
    Whatever happened to Linux being about choice? If a company wants to create their own display server, what's wrong with that? We should start putting restrictions on what display server you can use in Linux? That surely sounds pretty restrictive.

    Mir and Wayland are both the future.

    Should we start hating on Google now for not using Xorg or Wayland for Android and instead making their own?
    Last edited by Britoid; 07-20-2013 at 09:46 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post
    Canonical gave a big fuck you to the Linux community for going with their own inhouse display server which causes fragmentation..
    While it's true, that Canonical started all this, the same could be said vice versa about the Linux Community ever since Ubuntu started. If we really get fragmentation it's the fault of both not being able to work with each other, but instead blaming and rejecting (although most of the blame and rejections don't come from Canonical).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post
    I hope the Mesa team rejects the patches.

    Canonical gave a big fuck you to the Linux community for going with their own inhouse display server which causes fragmentation.

    Mesa should give a big fuck you to Canonical by rejecting their Mir patches.


    Sorry Canonical, but Wayland is the future.
    Their choices don't effect you in the slightest, so why all the vitriol?

    And you should stop the swearing, this is a SFW forum after all.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alexThunder View Post
    While it's true, that Canonical started all this, the same could be said vice versa about the Linux Community ever since Ubuntu started. If we really get fragmentation it's the fault of both not being able to work with each other, but instead blaming and rejecting (although most of the blame and rejections don't come from Canonical).
    The problem is Canonical does not communicate with the community and its only getting worse they stated at the end of last year they will no longer dicuss future projects publicly.
    The reason people are so mad at Canonical about Mir is they said they were going to use Wayland then started development of Mir behind closed doors and then suddenly announced it while saying they needed to use it because Wayland couldnt do certain things, however not once did they talk to the Wayland devs about these missing futures and as it turns out they were not missing at all.

    So not I dont think the same could be said about the Linux community. Canonical has no interest working with others, just look at how much they contribute to upstream projects diddly squat.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    74

    Default

    As an active radeon developer my first question is why the heck they want to change our kernel driver?

    The command submission and buffer sharing interfaces are quite well defined and work perfectly for both X and Wayland.

    Well we will probably see,
    Christian.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,560

    Default

    Android is developed behind closed doors too...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timothyja View Post
    The problem is Canonical does not communicate with the community and its only getting worse they stated at the end of last year they will no longer dicuss future projects publicly.
    The reason people are so mad at Canonical about Mir is they said they were going to use Wayland then started development of Mir behind closed doors and then suddenly announced it while saying they needed to use it because Wayland couldnt do certain things, however not once did they talk to the Wayland devs about these missing futures and as it turns out they were not missing at all.

    So not I dont think the same could be said about the Linux community. Canonical has no interest working with others, just look at how much they contribute to upstream projects diddly squat.
    Canonical say to upstream you will do are bidding upstream Say's LOL you dont pay us

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •