No announcement yet.

Linux Is Still A Lemon On The 2013 MacBook Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'd be nice if Phoronix goes into reviewing notebooks and other hardware for Linux compatibility, stability, power efficiency and then performance more often. Maybe you can try to get some sort of partnership with OEMs and/or retailers assuming they don't "encourage" you to write biased reviews for them sending you review units.

Comment

More like... The 2013 MacBook Air Is Still A Lemon On Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by matt98 View Post
        It'd be nice if Phoronix goes into reviewing notebooks and other hardware for Linux compatibility, stability, power efficiency and then performance more often. Maybe you can try to get some sort of partnership with OEMs and/or retailers assuming they don't "encourage" you to write biased reviews for them sending you review units.
        And you will get more Linux is still a lemon on {insert random product here}. We have to live with the fact that big manufacturers don't give a fuck about desktop linux and those that do make ugly hardware (ie. System76 and the lot).

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          And you will get more Linux is still a lemon on {insert random product here}. We have to live with the fact that big manufacturers don't give a fuck about desktop linux and those that do make ugly hardware (ie. System76 and the lot).
          Ya, I expect that but finding out which systems aren't lemons on Linux is great. Right now, I can only go by my own anecdotal experience. However, it'd be nice to know which notebooks are not lemons or find out what is broken on a notebook and decide whether or not it' s okay for my needs. An article on the notebook and then supplemental information from commenters would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by beidl View Post
            If anybody, it's Apples fault. Read this blog post of GregKH about how they f*cked up the implementation of their own Thunderbolt spec...
            http://www.kroah.com/log/blog/2013/06/20/hardware/
            GregKH calls the co-designer of Thunderbolt fucking up their own implementation with this quote:

It turns out that that Apple, in their infinite wisdom, doesn?t follow the specification, but rather, they require a kernel driver to do all of the work that the BIOS is supposed to be doing. This works out well for them as they can share the same code from their BIOS with their kernel, but for any other operating system, that doesn?t know how to talk directly to the hardware at that level, you are out of luck. So, no Thunderbolt support on Apple hardware for Linux (at least through May 2013, maybe newer models will change this, but I?m not counting on it.)
            The Mach XNU Kernel is designed specifically to work and leverage the hardware in this manner. This is not a `fuck up,' as he rightly points out the direct advantage this gives Apple talking directly to that hardware at that level.

I guarantee you Intel isn't whining that Apple implemented it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
              This is not a `fuck up,' as he rightly points out the direct advantage this gives Apple talking directly to that hardware at that level.
              They broke the spec they helped created. It was obviously intentional, but it still broke the spec.

Comment

The thing here is that technically Apple doesn't use a BioS. So obviously there would be no support for BioS on their machines.

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                GregKH calls the co-designer of Thunderbolt fucking up their own implementation with this quote:

The Mach XNU Kernel is designed specifically to work and leverage the hardware in this manner. This is not a `fuck up,' as he rightly points out the direct advantage this gives Apple talking directly to that hardware at that level.

I guarantee you Intel isn't whining that Apple implemented it this way.
                I hate to say this but many kernel developers are stuck in the past and have a hard time adapting to post i86 and BioS supported hardware. I'm not sure this is the case here, but really Apples hardware has been EFI for some time now. In a nutshell it is pretty pathetic to whine about a company that doesn't follow PC conventions when it doesn't consider its machines to be PC compatibles.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  They broke the spec they helped created. It was obviously intentional, but it still broke the spec.
                  Apple doesn't make PC compatibles so it isn't really possible for them to break the spec. BioS is an ancient technology from the PC compatible land, Apple doesn't make PC compatibles. In fact most PC operating systems require that you install boot camp on the Mac hardware to do an install.

It actually perplexes me that so many see Apple hardware as PC compatible when it obviously isn't. Nor was any of Apples hardware ever intended to be PC compatible in its base form. Reading a spec for PC hardware and then trying to blame Apple for not implementing it is frankly stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    Apple doesn't make PC compatibles so it isn't really possible for them to break the spec. BioS is an ancient technology from the PC compatible land, Apple doesn't make PC compatibles. In fact most PC operating systems require that you install boot camp on the Mac hardware to do an install.

It actually perplexes me that so many see Apple hardware as PC compatible when it obviously isn't. Nor was any of Apples hardware ever intended to be PC compatible in its base form. Reading a spec for PC hardware and then trying to blame Apple for not implementing it is frankly stupid.
                    This is vendor lock-in issue nothing to see here.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                      Phoronix: Linux Is Still A Lemon On The 2013 MacBook Air

While the 2013 Haswell-based Apple MacBook Air has been on the market for the better part of two months, the Linux kernel still isn't playing nicely with this very light laptop that under OS X boasts a long battery life...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQyNDk
                      Have you git bisected between the working and nonworking kernel versions to determine the commit which caused the issue?
                      You're going to have to give them a bit of a biscuit on this one before they'll handle your hardware vendor's assclown move.

Comment

Working...
                      X