Linux Is Still A Lemon On The 2013 MacBook Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    It matters, because people who already bought a mac may want to use it instead of os x. Linux is way faster than os x.
    Linux is faster is a big waste of time just to use Linux. You have to prove that Linux is faster. My only reason why people should not install Linux on Macs is because you lose the access to software what is used globally on a daily basis. Linux could run those applications but using WINE to run those applications does not always gets installed in a predictable manner and also the software does not always run the same as it runs in the native OS. I tried installed Microsoft Office 2000 in WINE 1.5.3 and it fails to install compared to previous WINE versions which I had no trouble to install MS Office 2000.

It is best just have Mac OS X and Linux co-exist on the desk instead of trying to have an "ONLY LINUX" desk..

If I bought a Mac, I am buying it just for Mac OS X. Buying a Mac and putting Linux on it is another big waste of time. Your point of view or your reasoning is bunch of FUD.

Comment

well every multiplatform developer have linux and OS X on his Mac since is more convenient have 1 laptop for both, of course regular users won't find it fun and will stick to OS X

Comment

The Kernel is the problem

Even my Mac mini doesn't work properly with 3.9. The colors get messed up after Intel's KMS-init.

Comment

GNU/Linux on a Mac

Originally posted by tecknurd View Post
          Linux is faster is a big waste of time just to use Linux. You have to prove that Linux is faster. My only reason why people should not install Linux on Macs is because you lose the access to software what is used globally on a daily basis. Linux could run those applications but using WINE to run those applications does not always gets installed in a predictable manner and also the software does not always run the same as it runs in the native OS. I tried installed Microsoft Office 2000 in WINE 1.5.3 and it fails to install compared to previous WINE versions which I had no trouble to install MS Office 2000.

It is best just have Mac OS X and Linux co-exist on the desk instead of trying to have an "ONLY LINUX" desk..

If I bought a Mac, I am buying it just for Mac OS X. Buying a Mac and putting Linux on it is another big waste of time. Your point of view or your reasoning is bunch of FUD.
          I bought a Mac and put only Gentoo GNU/Linux on it, because it's faster and more convenient for me.

There you go.
          Last edited by frign; 01 August 2013, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Apple

I wish Apple would contribute code to the Linux kernel to add support for their laptops.

Linus used to use a MacBook, but now the switched to Chromebook Pixel.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
              Even my Mac mini doesn't work properly with 3.9. The colors get messed up after Intel's KMS-init.
              let me guess, it's nvidia. nouveau is atrocious with drivers. which gpu do you have, btw? can stable distros like centos just ship with vesa instead of nouveau, please. it's a disgrace and a piece of crap, please don't make a sysadmin waste their time trying to disable it. if they want it so much, they can install it as a add-on package.

Comment

Nvidia sucks

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                let me guess, it's nvidia. nouveau is atrocious with drivers. which gpu do you have, btw? can stable distros like centos just ship with vesa instead of nouveau, please. it's a disgrace and a piece of crap, please don't make a sysadmin waste their time trying to disable it. if they want it so much, they can install it as a add-on package.
                It is an Intel HD Graphics 4000 with EFI Stub Booting.

But speaking of Nvidia, I know what you mean. I have a MacBook Pro with an Nvidia-GPU and the drivers sucked big time when I installed Ubuntu on it (I am now on Gentoo on my Mac mini and know that Ubuntu sucks).
                It's best to buy a computer with Intel Graphics. They may not be the fastest, but at least you can run it with free software.

I kinda like Nouveau and am impressed from what they managed to do just by reverse engineering the binary drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
                  It is an Intel HD Graphics 4000 with EFI Stub Booting.

But speaking of Nvidia, I know what you mean. I have a MacBook Pro with an Nvidia-GPU and the drivers sucked big time when I installed Ubuntu on it (I am now on Gentoo on my Mac mini and know that Ubuntu sucks).
                  It's best to buy a computer with Intel Graphics.
                  You mean a non-Apple computer with Intel hardware. Because your experience and Michael's are perfect examples of Apple computers with Intel hardware not playing nice with the Linux kernel.

Previously it wasn't even possible to overwrite OS X and install Windows on Apple hardware without Boot Camp.

Comment

No

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    You mean a non-Apple computer with Intel hardware. Because your experience and Michael's are perfect examples of Apple computers with Intel hardware not playing nice with the Linux kernel.

Previously it wasn't even possible to overwrite OS X and install Windows on Apple hardware without Boot Camp.
                    No, I didn't mean that.
                    The Mac mini is working flawlessly and you don't even need Boot Camp or a bootloader.
                    With EFI Stub, you can boot the Kernel directly from EFI, which is faster and more convenient.

Comment

Working...
                    X