GNOME & Intel Developers Plan The Wayland Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    So, even if we accept the premise that Richard Hughes these days can be considered a GNOME developer developer, even though he develops only various back-end services such as PackageKit and colord and his blog just happens to be hosted on gnome.org, we can simply argue for NIH by pointing to Oyranos which is what colord does, just longer. The problem with Oyranos is just that it was developed by Kai-Uwe Behrmann (broulik) ? a KDE developer.

Here's also a lengthy blog post by a Gnome dev detailing Gnome's NIH syndrome without even realizing that it's NIH and defending not using Accounts-SSO and Maliit. THAT'S how Gnome usually roll!
    Cool that you misrepresent things. But GNOME online accounts existed before the Ubuntu version. Regarding Oyranos: I never heard of it at all. Was this proposed on freedesktop.org or should we have magically figured it out?

Anyway, obviously easier to misrepresent things and troll.

"The problem with Oyranos is just that it was developed by Kai-Uwe Behrmann (broulik) ? a KDE developer", right... you start of that there is a problem, then repeat it, still without showing anything to back this up. Just stating your opinion again is not a reference :P

Regarding Maliit, it depends on Qt. So GNOME would be tried to the release cycle of Qt. What we wanted is a non-Qt dependency, then a Qt version and a glib version. That's reality for you instead of your misrepresentations.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
      Like your colour support in KDE? Most of the infrastructure work was done by someone in GNOME.
      No, Oyranos is KDE's default color manager and it was developed Kai-Uwe Behrmann. colord, Richard Hughes's NIH, is not integrated into KWin.
      Oyranos had a Compiz plugin long before Gnome made any attempt to develop something like this for their own WM: http://www.oyranos.org/2010/06/libxc...on-with-a-gpu/

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Wayland is really exciting stuff!

I hope that there are some non-Linux GNOME developers participating at GUADEC.
        Hope to see some BSD and Solaris developers participate.
        There are NONE.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
          Vice versa is true as well. Let us keep focus on Wayland. Who is doing upstream work and who is bending the intentions of the protocol?
          Have anything to backup your claim? It is known gnome suffers from NIH the most.

Comment

No, Oyranos is KDE's default color manager and it was developed Kai-Uwe Behrmann. colord, Richard Hughes's NIH, is not integrated into KWin.
            Oyranos had a Compiz plugin long before Gnome made any attempt to develop something like this for their own WM: http://www.oyranos.org/2010/06/libxc...on-with-a-gpu/
            I'll ask again: Did you ever try to get this on freedesktop.org? Did you/him ever talk to GNOME? Compiz is not GNOME, it just uses Gtk+. The window manager for GNOME was metacity, now mutter. That something existed beforehand is not proof of anything. It would be cool if you told whom you are, e.g. an actual KDE developer.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
              Have anything to backup your claim? It is known gnome suffers from NIH the most.
              "It is known" is not proof. Try coming up with references. If you say it is so easy, prove like 3 times or something. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                There are NONE.
                There are actually a few OpenBSD developers with git accounts. I know this as I've talked to these developers and I've created the git accounts for them. There is also 1 FreeBSD developer with a git account. Their contributions are really small AFAIK (compilation fixes and Linux-isms fixes).

Comment

Cool that you misrepresent things. But GNOME online accounts existed before the Ubuntu version.
                  I do what? Let's quote Wikipedia here:
                  ?Accounts-SSO was originally developed by Nokia who eventually shipped it as part of Maemo 5 on November 16, 2009.?

Accounts-SSO is not an Ubuntu invention as even the Gnome blog post states. Canonical just made a front-end for it.

When Canonical has to show Gnome how not suffering from NIH syndrome works, it really shows how bad Gnome is in this regard.

Regarding Oyranos: I never heard of it at all. Was this proposed on freedesktop.org or should we have magically figured it out?
                  http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc/ and do a text search for ?Oyranos?.

Anyway, obviously easier to misrepresent things and troll.
                  Yeah, someone who claims that GOA predates Accounts-SSO should not talk so loud?

"The problem with Oyranos is just that it was developed by Kai-Uwe Behrmann (broulik) ? a KDE developer", right... you start of that there is a problem, then repeat it, still without showing anything to back this up. Just stating your opinion again is not a reference :P
                  Yeah, because googling "Oyranos" is so hard?
                  If you want to know more about Kai-Uwe's KDE activities: https://plus.google.com/100202326091940882253/posts

Regarding Maliit, it depends on Qt. [?] What we wanted is a non-Qt dependency
                  Yes, as I said: NIH.
                  Those evil Qt dependencies?

KDE, btw, has no problem with adding GTK into the mix: https://projects.kde.org/oxygen-gtk

Comment

I'll ask again: Did you ever try to get this on freedesktop.org?
                    For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Comment

No, Oyranos is KDE's default color manager and it was developed Kai-Uwe Behrmann.
                      Default? Says who? It's not part of the KDE SC. Dantti has been working on colord support on KDE for a quite awhile.

colord, Richard Hughes's NIH, is not integrated into KWin.
                      The KWin color management is not tied to Oyranos. The next colord-kde release should add support for KWin color correction with colord.

For the next release I’ll try to make sure KWin color correction feature works with colord-kde (it should just work but seems it’s not working so I have to dig into this), and also a cool new feature is that we will have a native KDE dialogs for the calibration phase!
                      -Source

Comment

Working...
                      X