No announcement yet.

GNOME & Intel Developers Plan The Wayland Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's not even the point. the reason osx "looks completely different from OS 9" has nothing to do with architecture. MS can make Windows looks exactly like OS X by only changing some themes and gradients and retrofitting a dock. Even though the architecture would be completely different. You already have some distros that mimic Windows to a great degree.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      X11 and Wayland aren't operating systems, so the comparison is invalid anyway.
      AFAIK X11 was almost an operating system by itself. It had a print service, an entire set of widgets, antiquated APIs, it handled fonts through XFS, networking, so, it is something very close to an actual operating system. Wayland, on the other hand, will use Linux services, so the comparison is entirely valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
        Because that's how Gnome roll.
        Not really. Gnome usually has severe NIH syndrome. According to your references apparently only Alexander Larsson does not suffer from that.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          Mac OSX is the Anti-Linux.
          While I may understand why your statement may be true to some extent, I'd like to point out the fact that it's Mac OS X which led to get in touch with Linux, and, as a subsequent move after Apple's departure from PPC architecture, made me try and adopt Linux as my one and only OS of choice. Concerning nowadays OS X, however, I totally agree when it comes to the politics of closure and total control that Mac users encounter now.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            window minimize (yes minimize which according to wayland devs is an incredibly subtle and complex thing)
            Isn't that a Weston problem? Gnome could handle it comletely different than Weston.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Not really. Gnome usually has severe NIH syndrome. According to your references apparently only Alexander Larsson does not suffer from that.
              The problem is that GNOME ignories work done by KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                The problem is that GNOME ignories work done by KDE.
                ...and set their own standard, ignoring many agreements set by others.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                  ...and set their own standard, ignoring many agreements set by others.
                  Provide references already!

I can point out the many times that GNOME has made something on freedesktop.org and that has been used by KDE. Like your colour support in KDE? Most of the infrastructure work was done by someone in GNOME.

KDE and GNOME work together. It's pretty cool to pretend that we hate eachother, or that one DE is the more awesome than another, but freedesktop.org is basically people from desktops working together. Suggest all the people who root solely for either KDE, GNOME or some other desktop to get lost because thinking that things will work without working together with another desktop has not been true for 10+ years.

Comment

Can't wait for XFCE and Xubuntu to be running Wayland. It'll be a glorious day.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
                      So this is how Awesomeness rolls. First you state Gnome suffers from NIH syndrome(no references), then you lack the ability to do your own research. Let me help you. Here is another Gnome developer doing CM. Did he do NIH and started to bend intenisons of the protocol or did he went to Weston and offered code for review?
                      http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...il/008441.html
                      So, even if we accept the premise that Richard Hughes these days can be considered a GNOME developer developer, even though he develops only various back-end services such as PackageKit and colord and his blog just happens to be hosted on gnome.org, we can simply argue for NIH by pointing to Oyranos which is what colord does, just longer. The problem with Oyranos is just that it was developed by Kai-Uwe Behrmann (broulik) ? a KDE developer.

Here's also a lengthy blog post by a Gnome dev detailing Gnome's NIH syndrome without even realizing that it's NIH and defending not using Accounts-SSO and Maliit. THAT'S how Gnome usually roll!

Comment

Working...
                      X