Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME & Intel Developers Plan The Wayland Future

Phoronix: GNOME & Intel Developers Plan The Wayland Future

The GNOME annual developer conference, GUADEC, is beginning this week in the Czech Republic. At this GNOME-focused open-source event, the developers will be joined by Intel Wayland developers as they plot their eventual departure from the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

2014 - the year of Wayland on the desktop.

Comment

fast as the Development has been going for the Gnome>Wayland i say it may have a Full Gnome-Wayland this year

Comment

I don't know how much work there's remaining, but I'll be amazed if GNOME Shell works as Wayland compositor by end of Sept. It'll be interesting as hell to see how things turn out during the next 6-9 months. Will Wayland finally make a breakthrough?

Comment

Non-Linux GNOME developers

Wayland is really exciting stuff!

I hope that there are some non-Linux GNOME developers participating at GUADEC.
          Hope to see some BSD and Solaris developers participate.

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
            I don't know how much work there's remaining, but I'll be amazed if GNOME Shell works as Wayland compositor by end of Sept. It'll be interesting as hell to see how things turn out during the next 6-9 months. Will Wayland finally make a breakthrough?
            "Must have" stuff that is still to become part of Wayland is the input method framework, window minimize (yes minimize which according to wayland devs is an incredibly subtle and complex thing), popup placement protocol, some deficiencies in wayland that must be fixed or worked around and who knows what else? Let's build a list of must haves that aren't officially part of Wayland yet?
            Last edited by mark45; 30 July 2013, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              "Must have" stuff that is still to become part of Wayland is the input method framework, window minimize (yes minimize which according to wayland devs is an incredibly subtle and complex thing), popup placement protocol, some deficiencies in wayland that must be fixed or worked around and who knows what else? Let's build a list of must haves that aren't officially part of Wayland yet?
              Minimize itself isn't hard, its what to do once it IS minimized. Do the windows keep rendering so that their state is always kept updated? Are they updated as needed? Do programs (and their rendering) be suspended when minimized-- out of sight out of mind? etc etc etc
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post

Last update: 2012-10-22

Comment

I wonder how long it takes until someone mentions..

It's funny that all people are excited to have wayland desktops in the future. You should only see a difference if something goes wrong .
                  Yes I know that many X drawbacks are apparent but the change for the enduser should be minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
                    2014 - the year of Wayland on the desktop.
                    People get stuck on a particular year, then naysayers use that to assassinate any progress that has or hasn't been made to their liking/expectation - so I'll do you one better:

"Wayland = the future of the Linux desktop... and the future is now"

Refute that !

Comment

Working...
                    X