Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Setup Radeon DPM On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: How To Setup Radeon DPM On Ubuntu Linux

With the belief that the Radeon dynamic power management (DPM) support is in good shape, it's a great time to try out this feature of the open-source AMD Linux graphics driver. DPM has the capability of increasing the performance for some Radeon GPUs while for other GPUs it will lead to lower power consumption, extended battery life, and lower operating temperatures...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How do you boot to radeon garaphics drivers?

I installed ubuntu 13.10 daily, just to test radeon drivers. I have a dual graphics hardware (Intel/AMD). If someone has AMD cards on new intel hardware, they all have this setup. I installed 3.11rc1 kernel, enabled x-org ppa (at that time mesa was at version 9.1, if I remember it correctly). When I tried to boot with radeon.dpm=1 option, it clearly showed the missing firmware error.

I don't know if linux-firmware-nonfree would fix the missing driver problem, but I found the link where the radeon binaries were hosted (yes it was same as mentioned in the post). So I downloaded the binary drivers (using wget), copied them to /lib/firmware/radeon. After that I had to update initramfs ( else same error would come up), and rebooted. Previous error message was gone, but a black screen would come and stop there.

Even, if I boot with intel cards (without radeon.dpm=1), I cannot switch to AMD (same black screen would come) and I have to reboot.

Is there a way to boot directly into AMD graphics cards in a hybrid setup (using radeon drivers). Something like in windows (i.e using catalyst per application basis) is an ideal solution. However, if I could directly boot into AMD cards (with radeon drivers), and if it was good enough, I would give up catalyst driver, without second thought (despite some performance penalty).
    Last edited by xpressrazor; 30 July 2013, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I don't suppose there are any plans to have DPM backported to 3.10 in gentoo-sources any time soon, right? Probably will have to wait until the final 3.11 gets released... Can't wait to get rid of uvesafb on one netbook I'm maintaining.

Comment

There doesn't seem to be any ARUBA_smc.bin. Any ideas?

Comment

The problem with the firmware is something temporary or it will fixed?

If this problem isnt temporary, there will be never out of the box DPM enablement.

Am i right?

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            There doesn't seem to be any ARUBA_smc.bin. Any ideas?
            APUs don't need smc ucode.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
              The problem with the firmware is something temporary or it will fixed?

If this problem isnt temporary, there will be never out of the box DPM enablement.

Am i right?
              What problem are you asking about? You need smc ucode for power management. The hardware doesn't work without it.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                APUs don't need smc ucode.
                Right, my bad, I thought of it as an IGP instead of an APU. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                  Right, my bad, I thought of it as an IGP instead of an APU. Thanks.
                  Wait, why don't they need it, again?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Wait, why don't they need it, again?
                    I have no idea, but the article is clear in that "graphics cards" need the firmware update. This evidently doesn't include APUs.

Comment

Working...
                    X