Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Gets Multi-Screen Reverse Optimus Support

Phoronix: Radeon Gets Multi-Screen Reverse Optimus Support

Hours after David Airlie posted a new Nouveau X.Org driver with "multi-screen reverse Optimus" support, AMD's Alex Deucher ported the code to the open-source Radeon driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Alex is on fire lately

Comment

Does this mean we might finally be able to have two gpus driving 4 displays, but with a single gpu drawing everything (so that there no xinerama and etc issues)?
      That would be an awesome way to have 4 displays for working with old crappy graphics cards.

Comment

I think what this means is that you can have your monitors plugged into your discrete GPU, but have your integrated Intel GPU doing the actual rendering.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          I think what this means is that you can have your monitors plugged into your discrete GPU, but have your integrated Intel GPU doing the actual rendering.
          Yes, but my use case is more: 2 radeon gpus, 2 monitors attached each, and having radeon gpu 1 doing the rendering for them all (don't really care about gaming, just pretty opengl desktop).

Is the solution generic enough so that I can replace "intel gpu" with "radeon gpu", is basically what I'm asking.

Comment

What is the real world use of this?

Have there been any AMD-based laptops which have an Nvidia discrete GPU built into them?

Have there been any AMD-based laptops which have an Intel discrete GPU built into them?

Have there been any Intel-based laptops which have an AMD discrete GPU built into them?

Have there been any AMD-based laptops which have a more powerful AMD discrete GPU?

Or is this part of some "foundational groundwork" which will help lead to crossfire/SLI support in the OSS driver? (Ditto for nouveau)

Or...... ?

I haven't looked at laptops in quite a long time, so I genuinely do not know. My old laptop still serves me well for now.

Comment

Background on reverse optimus:
              So I took some time today to try and code up a thing I call reverse optimus. Optimus laptops come in a lot of flavours, but one annoying one is where the LVDS/eDP panel is only connected to the Intel and the outputs are only connected to the nvidia GPU. Under Windows, either the intel is rendering…

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                1) Have there been any AMD-based laptops which have an Nvidia discrete GPU built into them?
                2) Have there been any AMD-based laptops which have an Intel discrete GPU built into them?
                3) Have there been any Intel-based laptops which have an AMD discrete GPU built into them?
                4) Have there been any AMD-based laptops which have a more powerful AMD discrete GPU?
                1) Not that I recall, but it wouldn't surprise me.
                2) No (Intel don't make discrete GPUs)
                3) Yes
                4) Yes (there have also been laptops with a weak discrete GPU and a more powerful integrated GPU (e.g. discrete HD 7450, integrated HD 6650))

:-)

Comment

Well what about an OpenCL render slave? Will the OSS drivers allow you to use an AMD APU as strictly an OCL churner while the dedicated GPU does all the graphics?

What about mixed GPU generations and vendors? Can you have an Nvidia iGPU running Nouveau with an AMD GPU all extending the desktop?

Comment

Hello!

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and good Phoronix, the issue I'm interested Amd eto know if my graphics can help Amd 7870 and I have a 4250 built this can help you? or not?
                    _________
                    Espa?ol
                    Hola a todos soy nuevo en el foro de Phoronix y bueno, en el tema de Amd me interesaria sabe si eto puede ayudar a mi grafica Amd 7870 y tengo una integrada 4250 esto puede ayudarla en algo? o no?

Comment

Working...
                    X