Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
    I prefer the open source drivers
    I guess you're not like those who want an OpenSource driver to play closed source games from Steam. My dreams of good OpenSource drivers finished having been ATI user for many years and waiting good OpenSource drivers. Currently being nVidia user I have realized that it is more important first to have good driver support either closed or open source.

Originally posted by wargames View Post
    but AMD has the best gfx cards in terms of price and OpenCL performance. AMD has good drivers on Windows though.
    Maybe for calculating hashes. But OpenCL on AMD to complex kernel compiling is bad (Windows and Linux). Ask Blender 3D people...
    Last edited by YAFU; 30 July 2013, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Openbenchmarking?

How the heck do you search for these results in openbenchmarking.org? Michael mentioned last time that if you have SVG graphics you should be able to click in any plot and get redirected to openbenchmarking. This doesn't happen in any of my computers! It would be nice to have automatic linking of articles to the source test results ...

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        OpenGL on Windows for SS3 will be slower than Direct3D on Windows. It just has something to do with the Engine.
        AFAIK it is a GLSL compiler optimization problem. So it is still the drivers problem.

Togl in Source games works different: compiled HLSL bytecode is translated into asm-like GLSL. Page 71 https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/d...to%20Linux.pdf

Comment

I'm member of a pc gaming hardware forum and people aren't actually to exited about AMD Windows drivers either.

OpenGL on Windows for SS3 will be slower than Direct3D on Windows. It just has something to do with the Engine. OpenGL performance in SS3 is the same for me with Windows and Linux and NVIDIA.
          I never run benchmarks, but all games I have, run smooth on win 7 pro 32 bit.
          Alien vs Predator(3) D11 is probably the heaviest game, or Serious Sam 3.

A guy from Croteam, claims that games should run faster on openGL then on DirectX.
          He said there is nothing in the engine which explains why the game runs less good on openGL.

He blamed the drivers from nvidia and amd.

Maybe Micheal should benchmark Serious Sam 3 too ?

On windows my HD5750 is not fast enough, to run every setting on max in SS3.

Because there is also a Linux version, it might be interesting for benchmarking.

I just run lost coast video stress test, and for what its worth, I had 188 fps average.

I did notice an improvement.

So lets hope amd is gonna compete with nvidia, that is best for us all.

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
            Maybe for calculating hashes. But OpenCL on AMD to complex kernel compiling is bad (Windows and Linux). Ask Blender 3D people...
            They took their time but now they're working actively on it, with the OpenGL 4.3 driver the Blender cycles kernel is working now but it has a few artifacts in the renders with the reflections... but at least it works.

Comment

Originally posted by mir3x View Post
              But all tests on win were using opengl, not direct3d? I guess direct3d will achieve more about 10% more fps.

Not on any cross platform test that I can find. In fact the oGL renders tend to edge out DX.

Comment

I simply don't understand why AMD can't deliver closed drivers that are almost as good as the Windows ones. What's so hard? What does NVIDIA do differently?
                NVIDIA has more money and is gaining a crap ton of revenue.

AMD on the other hand is hemorrhaging money from everywhere.

See financial stuff to the right.

Comment

Too bad the Nvidia drivers are proprietary, and does not have XRandR 1.4 support, fbcon framebuffer support, good OpenCL support (instead they pushing CUDA), OpenGL ES and EGL support, etc.

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                  AMD on the other hand is hemorrhaging money from everywhere.
                  Hopefully that soon changes.
                  AMD hardware is included in all the next generation consoles; Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Wii U.
                  So that should be a nice and steady revenue source in the coming years.

Comment

wow 3 pages and nobody has used the image of linus giving the finger, I'm impressed (and glad - that image is getting boring to look at).

But in all seriousness, these test results are exactly why nvidia doesn't open source anything. They get to work at their own pace and they don't have to worry about waiting for non-nvidia devs to catch up. And I don't blame them - they don't want to rely on a 3rd party developer who could flake out at any time. The thing about the open source world is I'm sure most open source devs are not under any contract or legal obligation to keep up with their work. While Linux isn't going anywhere any time soon, Nvidia doesn't want to take the chance of putting the reliability of their products in the hands of people who can't be 100% trustworthy. I'm guessing the only reason Intel and AMD make open source drivers is because they actually help develop the kernel (particularly intel).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      wow 3 pages and nobody has used the image of linus giving the finger, I'm impressed (and glad - that image is getting boring to look at)
                      That was a great play by Torvalds! Thanks to that nVidia started working seriously on Optimus for GNU/Linux. Linus is a very intelligent person, he knew that it would draw attention.
                      In the same way, it is good to criticize the flaws in AMD hoping that they read and take action on the matter. For me the open-closed driver discussion has no importance any more. It is important to provide a good driver, whether open-closed source. But you as a hardware manufacturer choose what you think is the best choice between the two, and use all your resources in a single work.

Comment

Working...
                      X