NVIDIA's Linux Driver On Ubuntu Is Very Competitive With Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Linux Driver On Ubuntu Is Very Competitive With Windows 8

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Linux Driver On Ubuntu Is Very Competitive With Windows 8

In recent days on Phoronix I have published benchmarks showing Windows 8 beating Ubuntu Linux for Intel Haswell performance and the Radeon Gallium3D driver losing to AMD Catalyst Legacy on Windows. As some good news for NVIDIA Linux users, the performance on Ubuntu Linux can beat out Microsoft Windows 8 on modern GPUs. However, the strong Linux performance can only be found if using the closed-source NVIDIA driver and not the open-source Nouveau alternative.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And this is generally why Nvidia is suggested anytime someone asks which graphics vendor has the best Linux support.
    I guess the others are okay if you have no plans of doing anything more graphically intensive than Super Tuxkart.
    Last edited by peppercats; 30 July 2013, 12:24 AM.

Comment

I'm quite impressed.
      Looking forward to similar testing with X.org vs Wayland vs Win8 - buuut lacking EGL (and maybe Wayland native benchmarking?), it's likely to be a while.

Comment

The Nouveau driver performance was generally very low

FTFY

Comment

It is not clear to me.
          did the nouveau driver reclocked the 9800gtx to the max before running benchmark or not?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            The Nouveau driver performance was generally very low

FTFY
            If it even managed to run the benchmark correctly at all.

Comment

But all tests on win were using opengl, not direct3d? I guess direct3d will achieve more about 10% more fps.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                And this is generally why Nvidia is suggested anytime someone asks which graphics vendor has the best Linux support.
                I guess the others are okay if you have no plans of doing anything more graphically intensive than Super Tuxkart.
                tell that to this guy

Comment

I wish this was true for nVidia GT520 and games I play. On Windows, I get much smoother performance in Alien Arena (framerate is a bit worse, but the game looks smoother than on Linux - I have no idea why). The same for Source engine games: Team Fortress 2 on Windows: 20-40 FPS (lowest and highest), on Linux: 10-30 FPS (lowest and highest) and the game gets stuck everytime there are too many objects on screen moving (this does not happen on Windows)

Comment

I simply don't understand why AMD can't deliver closed drivers that are almost as good as the Windows ones. What's so hard? What does NVIDIA do differently?

Comment

Working...
                    X