Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    PS.
    1. Making use of the dpm feature requires more than just the kernel and compiled mesa/etc - you have to make absolutely sure the new libs are actually used. Even after an update you have to recheck (ldd /usr/bin/glxinfo), maybe ldconfig decides to do a stunt and puts back some old libs...
    Now that you've mentioned it I decided to check that, too but unfortunately: nothing. I've even tried to use the latest libdrm version from git but nope, nothing changed.
    The strange thing is that dmesg does not provide anything that could explain what is happening, everything is fine there. I can even work on a console without any trouble but as soon as I try to open anything in kde the whole system freezes.

So, I guess I'm lost on this one and have to file a bug report, as I can't think of anything else that I could've forgotten to check.

Comment

Originally posted by ledti View Post
      That's interesting. I've also been experiencing hard locks very randomly (every few days) ever since using DPM/mesa-git/mainline/etc, but I wasn't sure what was causing it. In my case, it usually happens while I'm using the computer and I'm forced to reset my computer manually. I've since enabled the magic sysrq key in hopes that I can get a kernel log of it the next time it happens.
      Well magic keys arent that magic as they dont work in this case.

What works for me until now is disabling dpms (not turning off monitor by screensaver at all).

Comment

Originally posted by Alderon View Post
        Now that you've mentioned it I decided to check that, too but unfortunately: nothing. I've even tried to use the latest libdrm version from git but nope, nothing changed.
        The strange thing is that dmesg does not provide anything that could explain what is happening, everything is fine there. I can even work on a console without any trouble but as soon as I try to open anything in kde the whole system freezes.

So, I guess I'm lost on this one and have to file a bug report, as I can't think of anything else that I could've forgotten to check.
        Whats the output of
        Code:
        glxinfo | grep OpenGL
        I have

Code:
        OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
        OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA
        OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.3.0-devel (git-0794f63)
        OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

Comment

Requested output:

[alex@Pandora ~]$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
          OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD BARTS
          OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 9.3.0-devel (git-8294d96)
          OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
          OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
          OpenGL core profile extensions:
          OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.3.0-devel (git-8294d96)
          OpenGL context flags: (none)
          OpenGL extensions:

Comment

Well magic keys arent that magic as they dont work in this case.

What works for me until now is disabling dpms (not turning off monitor by screensaver at all).
            Apparently it happened again last night while the computer was suspended... since I couldn't wake it and was forced to hard reset again. I tried the sysrq keys but I don't even know if they work in that scenario in the first place. Maybe our issues are unrelated. I've long since set dpms to only activate after 1 hour and 30 minutes, so it usually never activates for me.

Comment

Whats the output of
              Code:
              OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA
              OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.3.0-devel (git-0794f63)
              Somehow my last answer didn't make it through, so please excuse the delay. I'm always using the git version:
              Code:
              OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 9.3.0-devel (git-2572e3b)
              OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.3.0-devel (git-2572e3b)
              Last edited by Alderon; 07 August 2013, 01:22 AM. Reason: forgot code tags

Comment

Originally posted by Alderon View Post
                Somehow my last answer didn't make it through, so please excuse the delay. I'm always using the git version:
                Code:
                OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 9.3.0-devel (git-2572e3b)
                OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.3.0-devel (git-2572e3b)
                Hm the driver seems ok. How did you get the 3.1 opengl? Its some specific compile option?

Well, the freezing issue... It seems just disabling dpms doesnt solve it. Last night i left my computer running, i set the screensaver only to blank the monitor and in the morning it was frozen stiff. The monitor had active signal (black), but it was still frozen.
                Now i experiment with simulating mouse movements every 15 minutes to wake up the monitor if its off (30 mins didnt work).

Comment

I don't really compile it myself, there's "mesa-git" on Arch Linux for that and the maintainer is very capable, so I don't really want to do stuff he can do better.
                  Does it sometimes freeze even while your screen is active or really only when the screen turns off?
                  Edit:
                  Sorry, just read that you already stated that sysrq doesn't help you.
                  Last edited by Alderon; 07 August 2013, 03:54 AM.

Comment

How did you get the 3.1 opengl?
                    You have to use an updated mesa-utils/glxinfo that can show profiles.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      You have to use an updated mesa-utils/glxinfo that can show profiles.
                      Hmm. I compiled glxinfo from the mesa demos git and i still have the same output.

Comment

Working...
                      X