Amazon Has The Best Low-Cost Keyboard In A While

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Uh what, people actually do that? Why not just get a localized keyboard?
    There theoretically is the Ą?ERTY layout here in Lithuania. In practise, finding a keyboard like that is just as difficult as finding a keyboard without a numpad. And for a good reason, too. You need those English symbols. I need them right now. The Internet largely speaks English.

Well if you have to constantly type in two languages with very different alphabets, I think it's better to just get two keyboards...
    That's not true in the slightest. It's a bit inconvenient that you need to press Alt + Shift (or whatever else you have configured) to switch keyboard layouts, but that far, far beats using an entirely different keyboard. My desk doesn't even have enough space to put another keyboard.

Comment

I played Larn and Nethack in the early 90s, don't know if you consider that "fairly new"... and yes, they were played with vi keys, especially since the VT-100 terminals we used didn't have any numpads...

Still, apart from nostalgia or baby duck syndrome, there's really no point in using the vi keys in modern roguelikes, the numpad is much more convenient and easy to use, especially for games that have lots of keybindings and you want to have the vi keys available for command keys.
      hehe, you started the one upsmanship with an incorrect statement. I still prefer vi type keybindings for playing roguelikes although its been years since I've played one.

My current keyboard is several years old, it appears I've never touched the number pad. I dont' do data entry though, mostly just scientific programming with mostly variables and a few numerics mixed in which makes me stay "at home". And yes I'm a heavy vi user so I naturally use just a basic subset of a keyboard anyways.

So for internationalization, what do people do with laptop keyboards which tend to dump the keypad anyways? I notice asian language entry doesn't use the keypad and I haven't seen anyone operate a keyboard with cyrillic or other languages that may require a smallish superset of a 101 or so key keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Well yes, the numpad iis also very useful for those who are not native English speakers and have accented symbols. They usually replace the number row, so you can enter numbers with the numpad, and accented characters with the number row. Though it's also not an ideal solution, because if you, say, need to write an exclamation mark, you have to switch to the US layout again (or use Alt Gr + Shift + 1). You could also just use the COMPOSE key for that, but it requires quite a few key presses.
        I've always liked the way Macs handles this, it's far more natural to me http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards2.asp

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
          hehe, you started the one upsmanship with an incorrect statement. I still prefer vi type keybindings for playing roguelikes although its been years since I've played one.
          So grab Dungeons Of Dredmor, it's worth it, theres tons of mods for it and it's fully native. The expansion packs are worth it as well.

Gaslamp Games is an independent game development company based in Canada. Their current release is fabulous roguelike dungeon crawler, Dungeons of Dredmor.

Do you like to play My Little Pony Games? Choose the new best My Little Pony Games and play online right now on the best site for games - Desura!

Dungeons of Dredmor - Long ago, the Dark Lord Dredmor was bound in the darkest dungeons beneath the earth by great and mighty heroes. Centuries later, the magical bonds that hold him in place are loosening and his power grows ever stronger. The land cries out for a new hero, a powerful warrior or a mystic wizard like those spoken of in the prophecies of yore. What they have, unfortunately, is you... Step into the Dungeons of Dredmor! Embrace your destiny! Face evil of the likes the world has never known - the terrifying Swarmies, the undulating Thrusties, and the adoreable nest-building Diggles. Worship Inconsequentia, the Goddess of Pointless Sidequests, or try your luck as a devotee of the nameless Lutefisk God. Cast powerful magic learned from the dark business warlocks of the school of Necronomiconomics, or summon the Viking Runes of your ancestors to blast your foes with thunder and lightning! Discover the power that can be had by wielding a bizarre armament of devastating weaponry such as the Interdimensional Axe, the Plastic Ring, and the Invisible Shield (if you can remember where you left it). Wield shoes decorated by the Dwarven Glittersmiths, all of whom have now committed suicide because of their shame, and embrace the joys of destroying giant moustache-wielding brick demons with a mace decorated with tawdry, delicious bacon. While you’re at it, be prepared to die. A lot. In hideous, screaming pain that makes you throw your keyboard out the window. The Dungeons of Dredmor await. Are you ready for them? Key features: Classic Roguelike gameplay with the sweet, refreshing taste of point-and-click interfaces. No longer must you press CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-x to drink a potion. Randomly generated dungeons entice you with the sweet, sweet promises of treasure and … things. Old-school pixel goodness. Face lovingly hand-animated monsters and enjoy the great taste of beautiful, individually rendered items on top of a sea of gorgeous, potent tile-work. Wield the awesome power of the Anvil of Krong, lest it wield you! Incredibly complicated crafting system! Wield relics of the Great Elven/Dwarven conflict; grind down ingots to make powdered aluminum and shove it directly up your nostrils! Hordes of monsters never-before-seen in a video game! Deploy cunning traps to defeat your foes! Infinite replay value: choose from a selection of mind-boggling skills to create your character. A new gameplay experience awaits every time! Did we mention there’s lutefisk?

Comment

So for internationalization, what do people do with laptop keyboards which tend to dump the keypad anyways? I notice asian language entry doesn't use the keypad and I haven't seen anyone operate a keyboard with cyrillic or other languages that may require a smallish superset of a 101 or so key keyboard.
            Use Alt+Shift even more often, that's what.

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            I've always liked the way Macs handles this, it's far more natural to me http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards2.asp
            ...yeah, that's essentially the COMPOSE key.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              There theoretically is the Ą?ERTY layout here in Lithuania. In practise, finding a keyboard like that is just as difficult as finding a keyboard without a numpad. And for a good reason, too. You need those English symbols. I need them right now. The Internet largely speaks English.
              Well that's just stupid, whoever designed the ...uh... Ą?ERTY layout did a shoddy job. I'm typing this on a Finnish/Swedish keyboard, it basically just has 3 extra keys - ?, ?, ? - and all the keys in the "standard" US layout are still available, some keys are combined in one key (like, you get the <, > and | symbols all from the same key, , and ; are in the same key because ? is where ; normally is, and so on), it means I can type in Finnish, Swedish or English, just have to use AltGr a bit more often than with a US layout keyboard.

But, maybe all localized keyboards aren't designed as smartly... then I guess it makes sense not to use one.

That's not true in the slightest. It's a bit inconvenient that you need to press Alt + Shift (or whatever else you have configured) to switch keyboard layouts, but that far, far beats using an entirely different keyboard. My desk doesn't even have enough space to put another keyboard.
              You know what, we should have keyboards with small OLED screens in each key... one size fits all, no need for localized layouts, no need to remember what you mapped where or mess up your keyboard with tape... Maybe in a few years when the price of OLED screens goes down, who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                So grab Dungeons Of Dredmor, it's worth it, theres tons of mods for it and it's fully native. The expansion packs are worth it as well.

Gaslamp Games is an independent game development company based in Canada. Their current release is fabulous roguelike dungeon crawler, Dungeons of Dredmor.

Do you like to play My Little Pony Games? Choose the new best My Little Pony Games and play online right now on the best site for games - Desura!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/98800
                Graphics? Interfaces? Blasphemy. When I was your age, all we had was ASCII and imagination. Kids these days, get off my lawn...

Comment

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is probably the best authentic RL that's still in active development today (IMO, YMMV etc). It's a direct fork/continuation of the classic Dungeon Crawl, has optional tile graphics but still works in ASCII. Lots of stuff and features added but the feeling of the original is still there.

Another one that is highly entertaining and very addictive: HyperRogue. It's basically like Rogue but on a hyperbolic plane. The geometry of the game map does not make sense in any conventional way... it's a hyperbolic plane, looks like an Escher painting, consists entirely of tesselated septagons (no, don't ask me how the hell that works). It's highly unlikely to even find the same place twice, unless you retrace your steps exactly. One hit deaths, very simple game but still very addictive. Only problem is, the Linux version seems to crash sometimes, and the development doesn't seem very active... it's open source though, hope someone picks up the project again.

Comment

Well that's just stupid, whoever designed the ...uh... Ą?ERTY layout did a shoddy job. I'm typing this on a Finnish/Swedish keyboard, it basically just has 3 extra keys - ?, ?, ? - and all the keys in the "standard" US layout are still available, some keys are combined in one key (like, you get the <, > and | symbols all from the same key, , and ; are in the same key because ? is where ; normally is, and so on), it means I can type in Finnish, Swedish or English, just have to use AltGr a bit more often than with a US layout keyboard.

But, maybe all localized keyboards aren't designed as smartly... then I guess it makes sense not to use one.
                    I don't really follow... But it sounds the same as in both the number row layout and Ą?ERTY ? you can still get the English letters by holding Alt Gr. But that just temporarily switches the layout to US when you hold it.

You know what, we should have keyboards with small OLED screens in each key... one size fits all, no need for localized layouts, no need to remember what you mapped where or mess up your keyboard with tape... Maybe in a few years when the price of OLED screens goes down, who knows...
                    Indeed. There have been clamshell tablets where one half is a virtual keyboard controlled by a touchscreen, from what I remember. Though that's not quite as nice as using an actual keyboard.

Comment

My current keyboard is several years old, it appears I've never touched the number pad. I dont' do data entry though, mostly just scientific programming with mostly variables and a few numerics mixed in which makes me stay "at home". And yes I'm a heavy vi user so I naturally use just a basic subset of a keyboard anyways.

Comment

Working...
                      X