Amazon Has The Best Low-Cost Keyboard In A While

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I don't really follow... But it sounds the same as in both the number row layout and Ą?ERTY ? you can still get the English letters by holding Alt Gr. But that just temporarily switches the layout to US when you hold it.
    No, that's not how it works for me at all. I'm saying that the Finnish/Swedish (and Danish/Norwegian, which IIRC are the same but with ?/? instead of ?/?) layouts contain all the keys that the US layout contains, plus 3 extra keys for local glyphs. The layout is slightly different, with more keys that combine more than 2 glyphs in them - which is why you have to use AltGr more, to get the 3rd glyph from some keys.

For example: in US layout, Shift-2 gives you @. But in Finnish layout, Shift-2 gives you ", and you have to press AltGr-2 to get @, because the letter ? is in place of the key that gives you ' and " in the US layout. Do you follow? I don't have to switch layouts at all, but I have to use AltGr more, because more keys have AltGr-accessed glyphs in them.

Indeed. There have been clamshell tablets where one half is a virtual keyboard controlled by a touchscreen, from what I remember. Though that's not quite as nice as using an actual keyboard.
    Yep. An actual keyboard is much better than a touchscreen, because it gives you physical feedback. That's something touchscreens probably won't be able to do for at least a couple of decades, so... OLED keyboards. Where can I throw money at?

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
      Graphics? Interfaces? Blasphemy. When I was your age, all we had was ASCII and imagination. Kids these days, get off my lawn...

Comment

No, that's not how it works for me at all. I'm saying that the Finnish/Swedish (and Danish/Norwegian, which IIRC are the same but with ?/? instead of ?/?) layouts contain all the keys that the US layout contains, plus 3 extra keys for local glyphs. The layout is slightly different, with more keys that combine more than 2 glyphs in them - which is why you have to use AltGr more, to get the 3rd glyph from some keys.

For example: in US layout, Shift-2 gives you @. But in Finnish layout, Shift-2 gives you ", and you have to press AltGr-2 to get @, because the letter ? is in place of the key that gives you ' and " in the US layout. Do you follow? I don't have to switch layouts at all, but I have to use AltGr more, because more keys have AltGr-accessed glyphs in them.
        No, I still don't get it. You have 3 extra buttons? Where are they placed, then? Or do they just replace some of the US buttons, whose functions are then put to the number row instead? And what do you do in order to get the number 2 without using the keypad?

Comment

No, I still don't get it. You have 3 extra buttons? Where are they placed, then? Or do they just replace some of the US buttons, whose functions are then put to the number row instead? And what do you do in order to get the number 2 without using the keypad?
          Ok, how about you just look at the Finnish keyboard layout in your keyboard layouts switcher. It'll all make sense to you, I promise.

Comment

Ok, how about you just look at the Finnish keyboard layout in your keyboard layouts switcher. It'll all make sense to you, I promise.
            I just looked at the Wikipedia article on the matter, and, well, I can't say I like it. Spending that much space on dead keys is silly, it's much more efficient to just use the COMPOSE key (and you don't need a special marking keyboard for that). The common use symbols are punted to the top for no apparent reason, with some second level symbols having a different meaning. And you still need to use Alt Gr to write anything, aside from the three buttons there (although Finnish really doesn't have that many letters that are extra; on the other hand, we Lithuanians need the entirety of the number row for our extra symbols, which are ąčęėįšųūž, and our quotes „“). So no, I'd rather have the system that we have and be able to use standard US/UK keyboards, thank you very much.

Comment

I just looked at the Wikipedia article on the matter, and, well, I can't say I like it. Spending that much space on dead keys is silly, it's much more efficient to just use the COMPOSE key (and you don't need a special marking keyboard for that). The common use symbols are punted to the top for no apparent reason, with some second level symbols having a different meaning. And you still need to use Alt Gr to write anything, aside from the three buttons there (although Finnish really doesn't have that many letters that are extra; on the other hand, we Lithuanians need the entirety of the number row for our extra symbols, which are ąčęėįšųūž, and our quotes „“). So no, I'd rather have the system that we have and be able to use standard US/UK keyboards, thank you very much.
              Much space on dead keys? There's only two dead keys on the Finnish layout - the one that gives ^"~ and the one that gives accents (????). How is that a lot of space on dead keys?

I do admit that having {[]} on the top row is a bit inconvenient though. But I still prefer this to having to switch layouts for typing different languages. Anyway, like you said, maybe it's different if you have a lot of extra symbols in your language, which might make it harder to create a multilingual layout.

Comment

But I still prefer this to having to switch layouts for typing different languages.
                Why? Like I said, with our layout we can also hold Alt Gr and get all the US symbols, and for the rest there's the COMPOSE button. Of course, in your case having the keyboard localised means that you can't actually switch to the US layout and expect the keyboard labels to show the correct characters...

Comment

Why? Like I said, with our layout we can also hold Alt Gr and get all the US symbols, and for the rest there's the COMPOSE button. Of course, in your case having the keyboard localised means that you can't actually switch to the US layout and expect the keyboard labels to show the correct characters...
                  I still remember the US layout pretty well from the long-gone days of using Windows XP and having the keyboard layout suddenly jump into US for no discernible reason, and having to reboot to get it back to normal... oh and the even more long-long-gone days of using DOS and having to boot without keyboard drivers to conserve memory to play some high-requirement games on my 486DX...

But, I simply have no need to switch layouts, as I can get all the characters I need from the FI layout. If I had to type in a language like Lithuanian it might be a different situation though...

Comment

Honesty in journalism

This article is bit sleazy and fails to disclose that Phoronix will profit from sales from the referral link to the product.

It would have probably been okay if this fact had been disclosed in the article, but it was not.

So, how did the author find out about this keyboard? Was he paid to write the article, in addition to getting referral fees? Did he simply need a new keyboard and then wish to share what he had learned about it?

This all being said, tech sites are so far outside the realm of honesty that I question that I should even be holding them up to the standards of journalism.

Comment

Sorry for thread necro but you should really consider roccat products instead of that razer bs, because they are quality and fully supported under linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X