A New Game Ported To Run On Wayland/Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
    Oh yes I see what you mean, my bad. How does UT render though? I don't see a libGL.so .. is it through the libglide.so?
    Glide is just one of the drivers. There's also OpenGL and "SDL GL" whatever that is. I have tried the latter but I find it doesn't work as well. I'm not sure why it doesn't link against libGL. The other good news is that new plugins can be built. The original renderers have framerate issues on modern machines but there is an enhanced renderer by Chris Dohnal. I did manage to build a recent version of his renderer for Linux once but I had to install Debian Sarge in a VM in order to do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
      Latest Qt4 has wayland support(?)
      no, that is the fast answer.

the long answer: Wayland support on Qt depends on Lighthouse project namely QPA[Qt Platform Abstraction] lately and this work landed in Qt 5.0+ and is not present, so Qt4 still uses the normal hardcoded XCB/Xlib Api.

Don't confuse gles support for Wayland support

Comment

weird no Mir priest has come to preach yet about how awesome is that page flipper and that wayland is like totally dead.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          weird no Mir priest has come to preach yet about how awesome is that page flipper and that wayland is like totally dead.
          this is the most sane thread i seen in mo's

Comment

Trolling much? Can't you just leave well enough alone?

Comment

I've pointed you already in the past that there is a SDL port for Mir. This shouldn't have problems running those two games and others on Mir.

The port of SDL to Wayland looked like it's been abandoned by the devs but recently there's been quite much of activity in soreau/SDL GitHub.

Comment

I'd love to see a UT 2004 Wayland port benchmarked against its X11 version on some modern Radeon card with 3.11 kernel and latest mesa etc.
                Not so much in terms of FPS (I don't think there will be a difference) but in terms of frame playback quality, latency etc. Might be hard to benchmark, though. You'd have to do a double blind test and let 10 people play the same game on the same machine on X and on Wayland and let them fill out a survey if one system felt smoother.

Comment

Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda View Post
                  So, when will AMD support Wayland?
                  They already support Wayland since quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    They already support Wayland since quite some time.
                    Not in the Catalyst just the Opensource Drivers

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                      I don't see why not, if it doesn't depend on any X stuff. I just checked the original UT, no X stuff in sight! This could be good news, getting it to run on modern systems is a bit hit and miss at the moment.

Code:
                      # readelf -d /opt/unreal-tournament/System/ut-bin /opt/unreal-tournament/System/*.so | fgrep NEEDED | sort -u
                       0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [Core.so]
                       0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [Engine.so]
                       0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libc.so.6]
                       0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libdl.so.2]
                       0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libglide.so.2]
                       0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libmikmod.so.2]
                       0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libm.so.6]
                       0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libnsl.so.1]
                       0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libopenal-0.0.so]
                       0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libpthread.so.0]
                       0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libSDL-1.2.so.0]
                       0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [Render.so]
                      Yea, same thing with UT2004:
                      Code:
                      > ldd /usr/local/share/ut2004/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 
                              linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff3ccbd000)
                              libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f1cc76bb000)
                              libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f1cc749f000)
                              ./libSDL-1.2.so.0 => not found
                              libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.5 (0x00007f1cc71bd000)
                              libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x00007f1cc6ebf000)
                              libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f1cc6ca9000)
                              libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f1cc68fc000)
                              /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f1cc78bf000)

What really annoys me about the Linux version of the original UT, is that even though I own it, I purchased the Anthology version (which is 4 games in 1), and the UT Linux installer has a CD check (something the Windows version had dropped since a long time ago), and of course it doesn't recognise Anthology as an UT disc. :\ And speaking of which, I think the UT installer depends on Motif or so (because its widgets are awful-looking), which of course in turn depends on X.

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                      I'm not sure why it doesn't link against libGL. The other good news is that new plugins can be built. The original renderers have framerate issues on modern machines but there is an enhanced renderer by Chris Dohnal. I did manage to build a recent version of his renderer for Linux once but I had to install Debian Sarge in a VM in order to do it!
                      Yea, I'm not sure why it (and UT2004 as well) doesn't link to libGL, either. Probably one of the other dependencies links to it, or something, since it sure renders in OpenGL.

And yes, there was a recent attempt at doing something similar, as documented here: http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yab...m=1363937027/0 It's for Rune, and not UT, but the idea is pretty much the same. It needs some really arcane GCC versions to make it work.
                      Thankfully there are no such problems with Unreal, since it has a fan-maintained modern version that should work just fine with GCC 4.

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
                      Honestly, GTK 2 apps are the only real sore area I see in this migration, aside from FLTK and other barely-known, barely-used toolkits. Many people stick to using GTK 2 apps just to keep using old themes, not even for any technical reason. Once someone actual ports their desktop over, so people don't need to use Weston to enjoy Wayland, I think people will stop assuming this situation is so difficult to adapt to.
                      Thankfully there's the GTK3 Oxygen theme. It even gets rid of the ribbon-style GTK3 toolbar and converts it to sane size icons with text next to them.

Comment

Working...
                      X