Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    Not in the Catalyst just the Opensource Drivers
    So? Catalyst does not even support VDPAU accelerated video decoding. AMD now spend more resources than ever to support the FOSS drivers and Linux 3.11 will remedy the remaining power management issues.

To me it looks like AMD is following Intel's driver policy now and that Catalyst's days are soon counted.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      So? Catalyst does not even support VDPAU accelerated video decoding. AMD now spend more resources than ever to support the FOSS drivers and Linux 3.11 will remedy the remaining power management issues.

To me it looks like AMD is following Intel's driver policy now and that Catalyst's days are soon counted.
      The AMD Drivers was not for gamers any ways they was for Professional graphics cards
      if AMD ends up Dropping the Catalyst for reg users and go's Opensource this will kick ass you will see little hate towards AMD From Linux Users + we will get KMS no more Wait Time for Update's as it will be Developed at the same time as the Kernel Etc

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        The AMD Drivers was not for gamers any ways they was for Professional graphics cards
        if AMD ends up Dropping the Catalyst for reg users and go's Opensource this will kick ass you will see little hate towards AMD From Linux Users + we will get KMS no more Wait Time for Update's as it will be Developed at the same time as the Kernel Etc
        My graphics drivers can be as open as they want. If they deliver shit performance I won't use them. I didn't pay a couple of hundret dollars for my graphics card to cripple them with lackluster drivers.

If AMD open drivers get as fast as on Windows, with no glitchiness I might buy an AMD card for Linux. Otherwise NVIDIA, all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
          I'm not sure why it doesn't link against libGL.
          Most binaries use runtime linking (rather than build-time) for the GL libraries, so it won't show up when looking at what the binary is linked to. I'm not sure why that is... possibly a legal factor, owing to the licensing of the libGL implementation being variable (e.g could be Mesa, could be NVidia, etc).

Comment

The difficulties are for programs that use no toolkits at all and speak directly to X11, which have to be rewritten to speak the Wayland protocol instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb6orah View Post
              The difficulties are for programs that use no toolkits at all and speak directly to X11, which have to be rewritten to speak the Wayland protocol instead.
              There aren't all that many these days that bypass toolkits entirely. The problem is more with programs that *do* use toolkits, but also link directly to X11 libraries because they need to do things not covered by the toolkits.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                My graphics drivers can be as open as they want. If they deliver shit performance I won't use them.
                AMD's FOSS drivers do not have shit performance. Their performance is perfectly fine for all day to day operations people commonly do.

Considering that with recent updates the FOSS driver supports VDPAU while the proprietary driver does not, playing Flash videos should finally be rather smooth on FOSS drivers.
                I never saw YouTube videos play smoothly on AMD systems with proprietary drivers.

If AMD open drivers get as fast as on Windows, with no glitchiness I might buy an AMD card for Linux. Otherwise NVIDIA, all day.
                The question I answered was about AMD drivers and Wayland not which GPU you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb6orah View Post
                  The difficulties are for programs that use no toolkits at all and speak directly to X11
                  And which programs would that be?

Comment

People, don't respond to spambots.

Comment

My graphics drivers can be as open as they want. If they deliver shit performance I won't use them. I didn't pay a couple of hundret dollars for my graphics card to cripple them with lackluster drivers.

same here i use the Catalyst for AMD card's and the Proprietary Nvidia Drivers for my Nvidia card. Nvidia is doing a really good job so far it's AMD thats sucking

Comment

Working...
                      X