Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Game Ported To Run On Wayland/Weston

Phoronix: A New Game Ported To Run On Wayland/Weston

A new open-source game (actually, two games) have been ported to run on Wayland without a dependence on X11...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

i though its just a matter of pressing poop on the compile button and the new gtk/qt will take care of everything. i don't buy that. it'll probably be an arduous journey in porting many x11 apps, especially since most FOSS projects are basically in penury.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
        i though its just a matter of pressing poop on the compile button and the new gtk/qt will take care of everything. i don't buy that. it'll probably be an arduous journey in porting many x11 apps, especially since most FOSS projects are basically in penury.
        It depends on how your application is written. If you use x11 apis directly then of course your porting would be more tedious than if you strictly use say GTK+, Qt, EFL etc... As long the abstraction layer/toolkit you use supports Wayland then you shouldn't have any Wayland issues to worry about when porting. Of course you will need to update your application to work with the version of the toolkit that supports Wayland.

Comment

So, when will AMD support Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda View Post
            So, when will AMD support Wayland?
            Given the speed AMD moves at? Loooooooong time lol. Radeon's got support now though :P
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Aaah Neverball. I wasted so many hours on you. Finished every damn level but the last... and then 1.5 came along, which totally changed the level categories and reset my progress.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                Quite right. Only the latest toolkits (GTK+3, Qt5, EFL) will be ported to Wayland. Old toolkits, which many programs still depend on (GTK+2, Qt4, and such) will have to run via XWayland. Exception is SDL which will probably gain Wayland support in both SDL and SDL2.

Programs that do not use the Wayland-native toolkits will have to be either ported to another toolkit, or run on XWayland. The difficulties are for programs that use no toolkits at all and speak directly to X11, which have to be rewritten to speak the Wayland protocol instead.

Of course, Mir (needlessly) complicates things even further...

Comment

Yea, I'll have to port Arcomage Clone to SDL2 at some point as well.

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  Quite right. Only the latest toolkits (GTK+3, Qt5, EFL) will be ported to Wayland. Old toolkits, which many programs still depend on (GTK+2, Qt4, and such) will have to run via XWayland. Exception is SDL which will probably gain Wayland support in both SDL and SDL2.
                  Really, SDL 1 will also be able to run on Wayland? Does that mean that UT2004 will run natively on Wayland, too?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Yea, I'll have to port Arcomage Clone to SDL2 at some point as well.

Really, SDL 1 will also be able to run on Wayland? Does that mean that UT2004 will run natively on Wayland, too?
                    Well that's what I heard, anyway, not sure if it's correct.

Comment

Working...
                    X