Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Game Ported To Run On Wayland/Weston

Default A New Game Ported To Run On Wayland/Weston

Phoronix: A New Game Ported To Run On Wayland/Weston

A new open-source game (actually, two games) have been ported to run on Wayland without a dependence on X11...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQyMjQ

i though its just a matter of pressing poop on the compile button and the new gtk/qt will take care of everything. i don't buy that. it'll probably be an arduous journey in porting many x11 apps, especially since most FOSS projects are basically in penury.

Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    i though its just a matter of pressing poop on the compile button and the new gtk/qt will take care of everything. i don't buy that. it'll probably be an arduous journey in porting many x11 apps, especially since most FOSS projects are basically in penury.
    It depends on how your application is written. If you use x11 apis directly then of course your porting would be more tedious than if you strictly use say GTK+, Qt, EFL etc... As long the abstraction layer/toolkit you use supports Wayland then you shouldn't have any Wayland issues to worry about when porting. Of course you will need to update your application to work with the version of the toolkit that supports Wayland.

So, when will AMD support Wayland?

Quote Originally Posted by CrvenaZvezda View Post
    So, when will AMD support Wayland?
    Given the speed AMD moves at? Loooooooong time lol. Radeon's got support now though :P

Aaah Neverball. I wasted so many hours on you. Finished every damn level but the last... and then 1.5 came along, which totally changed the level categories and reset my progress.

Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    Quite right. Only the latest toolkits (GTK+3, Qt5, EFL) will be ported to Wayland. Old toolkits, which many programs still depend on (GTK+2, Qt4, and such) will have to run via XWayland. Exception is SDL which will probably gain Wayland support in both SDL and SDL2.

Programs that do not use the Wayland-native toolkits will have to be either ported to another toolkit, or run on XWayland. The difficulties are for programs that use no toolkits at all and speak directly to X11, which have to be rewritten to speak the Wayland protocol instead.

Of course, Mir (needlessly) complicates things even further...

Yea, I'll have to port Arcomage Clone to SDL2 at some point as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Quite right. Only the latest toolkits (GTK+3, Qt5, EFL) will be ported to Wayland. Old toolkits, which many programs still depend on (GTK+2, Qt4, and such) will have to run via XWayland. Exception is SDL which will probably gain Wayland support in both SDL and SDL2.
    Really, SDL 1 will also be able to run on Wayland? Does that mean that UT2004 will run natively on Wayland, too?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Yea, I'll have to port Arcomage Clone to SDL2 at some point as well.

Really, SDL 1 will also be able to run on Wayland? Does that mean that UT2004 will run natively on Wayland, too?
    Well that's what I heard, anyway, not sure if it's correct.