Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's Chromecast Already Exploited

Phoronix: Google's Chromecast Already Exploited

Released this past week by Google alongside Android 4.3 and the new Nexus 7 tablet was the Chromecast, a $35 device to essentially relay web-pages and video content from your PC or mobile device to an HDMI TV. The Chromecast has now been exploited so a root shell is accessible...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How does it get access to playing Nextflix, is there any way that it could be used on a Linux desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      How does it get access to playing Nextflix, is there any way that it could be used on a Linux desktop?
      I just saw the video about Chromecast and I am interested in knowing how can I enable this on my Ubuntu PC. My TV has an HDMI port.

Comment

Official way?

So there is no official way to install software on it?
        You need to exploit bugs in order to hack it?

It would be pretty cool, if you could install Debian or Ubuntu Server on it.
        Then maybe it would be an alternative to the Raspberry Pi.

Comment

That didn't answer the question. He was pointing at the fact that this Linux-based device can stream from Netflix, which is something that Linux is currently unable to do, due to the lack of DRM code in Moonlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            That didn't answer the question. He was pointing at the fact that this Linux-based device can stream from Netflix, which is something that Linux is currently unable to do, due to the lack of DRM code in Moonlight.
            Yes. It covers only the "used from linux desktop part". It would be nice if it could be used like a general purpose streaming devise in linux. (ie stream from vlc, mirror screen Youtube etc).

Comment

I was never too keen on that term, "exploit", when regarding stuff I own. Woman are exploited sexually; Employees exploit their workers; Experts find exploits in security\secure systems... It seems wholly inappropriate when you actually go out, buy a product with your own hard earned money, and then for using it the way you want, you're said to be exploiting someone.

I suppose it's just another lost cause like "hacking" trading meaning from the very old "coding anything quickly and carelessly", to "writing really brilliant technical code that breaks conventions", to "penetrating software security" to now a general term for "writing code".

Still, it irks.
              Now if you'll excuse me, I have some time off to exploit so I'll be hacking around some scripts to organize my home folder.
              See?

Comment

honestly how do people not know about the roku?
                Even if you only just read the article you would know about it...
                Roku runs on linux and has been streaming netflix natively for years. among other devices...
                this is absolutely not new and if you're curious just google around.

Comment

hope this didn't double post

honestly how do people not know about the roku?
                  Even if you only just read the article you would know about it...
                  Roku runs linux and has been streaming netflix natively for years. among other devices...
                  this is absolutely not new and if you're curious just google around.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    Yes. It covers only the "used from linux desktop part". It would be nice if it could be used like a general purpose streaming devise in linux. (ie stream from vlc, mirror screen Youtube etc).
                    It was the Netflix part I was interested in running from a Linux desktop (not pushing stuff from Linux to the device). But even so I dobuth you could push Nextflix content to it if you are not able to access Netflix in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                    X