Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel 2.21.13 Driver Fixes Performance Regressions

Phoronix: Intel 2.21.13 Driver Fixes Performance Regressions

The xf86-video-intel 2.21.13 driver was released on Sunday by Intel's Chris Wilson. This latest Intel X.Org driver update has some performance regression fixes plus fixes the Intel X.Org driver to build on non-Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The next week I will sell my intel i5 3570k..., I'm very tired about the tearing..., tearing with flash on compiz, tearing after 2 o 3 hours of use on kwin..., complete tearing with kde 4.11, totally tearing with gnome shell when I play a fullscreen movie..., STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
      The next week I will sell my intel i5 3570k..., I'm very tired about the tearing..., tearing with flash on compiz, tearing after 2 o 3 hours of use on kwin..., complete tearing with kde 4.11, totally tearing with gnome shell when I play a fullscreen movie..., STOP.
      Well, it doesn't do it on my Ivy Bridge i7 with Chakra, so it seems like a problem in your distro...

Comment

No tearing on Core i3 550 with compton configured to use its opengl backend, under Xfce. (Arch Linux so not using SNA? I think.)

On an unrelated note, I saw this in the comments of one bug report:
        IPS is "Intelligent Power Sharing". It adjusts the performance of the GPU by ~2x in order to split power between the CPU/GPU based on demand, and takes a good couple of minutes to respond. That is it takes several runs of a benchmark on Ironlake in close succession for the results to stablise.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
          On an unrelated note, I saw this in the comments of one bug report:
          IPS is "Intelligent Power Sharing". It adjusts the performance of the GPU by ~2x in order to split power between the CPU/GPU based on demand, and takes a good couple of minutes to respond. That is it takes several runs of a benchmark on Ironlake in close succession for the results to stablise.
          AFAIK, that applies only to Ironlake. Sandy Bridge and later have more fine-grained IPS. Any Intel dev here who could confirm or deny this?

Comment

No tearing here on HD4000 what connection to monitor are you using?

Comment

You will get tearing if any of the following are true:

1. Not using a compositor or the application (for Xv, DRI apps) itself requests tearing.
              2. Not using SNA
              3. Not using a kernel >= 3.8
              4. vsync disabled through xorg.conf

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                AFAIK, that applies only to Ironlake. Sandy Bridge and later have more fine-grained IPS. Any Intel dev here who could confirm or deny this?
                IPS was the first attempt to share thermal constraints and power budget between two packages on the same die (Clarkdale/Arrandale + Ironlake). This was greatly refined for Sandybridge (finer granularity, quicker response) and renamed turbo, where upon individual CPU cores and the GPU could run at different frequencies depending upon the thermal load. However what made an even bigger difference for Sandybridge was the improved the sleep states for the GPU (turning the GPU off when not in use, either saving the power or speeding up the CPUs) and that is where we continue to see improvements in Ivybridge, Haswell and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
                  No tearing here on HD4000 what connection to monitor are you using?
                  I use dvi. So easy to understand I tried all the distros.., arch, ubuntu, gentoo, mageia, chakra linux, linux mint, opensuse etc etc

I used all the kernel, since 3.2 until 3.10 buuut I have this problems.

With kde 4.10, no tearing on movements of windows, no tearing on vlc.. but if I use flash pepper on chrome, I need to disable the fullscreen effects, because flash pepper use their vsync... and if you keep the option on, I can see the slow framerates on the reproduction of the movie, but if I use flash on firefox I need to keep on the fullscreen effects, without this option I have tearing on flash.

with kde 4.11 I need to force compositing with the new option called " full repaint screen" without this I have tearing....., this means that flash on chrome run so slow...:/.., and I can see tearing on the top of the screen when I see a movie .

with ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10, compiz run very fine.., but after 5 o 6 hours of use..., tearing returns XD and I need to restart ubuntu for solve the problem or restart compiz...( no tearing when I move the windows...only when I watch a movie or with flash)

with gnome shell..., I had tearing when I was watching a movie with vlc or mplayer.. but not when I move a windows.

I use sna because uxa is so slow....( intel hd4000)

Sorry for my english , I don't know yet how to do compound sentences XD

Ahhh and with compton I have tearing on the top of the screen ..I tried this with crunchbang linux.

Comment

Come to the dark side and switch to radeon No tearing for something like seven years now. Not using a compositor either (come on Intel, we exist, implement support for that already!).

Comment

Working...
                    X