Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote On The Linux Distro To Be Benchmarked

Phoronix: Vote On The Linux Distro To Be Benchmarked

Yesterday I opened the discussion about what Linux distribution should be benchmarked the most at Phoronix given that many Linux enthusiasts and readers are not fond of the direction of Ubuntu. To not much surprise given the very opinionated Phoronix readers, there's been about 200 comments and counting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Scientific Linux vs Ubuntu.

Comment

I expect a second round, with a reduced number of options.

Comment

I dont get it, so many kids are crying why ubuntu is the most tested distro, but they are so noobs and dont understand, that it doesnt really matter, which distro is tested, they are all the same - linux, what matters is which version of which program, library or package is less buggy and faster. Anyway, ubuntu still wins the poll

Comment

it is essential to put a 5 post limit on voting to avoid fanboys registered just for the voting. or make it public so anyone (registered or not) can vote.

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
            I dont get it, so many kids are crying why ubuntu is the most tested distro, but they are so noobs and dont understand, that it doesnt really matter, which distro is tested, they are all the same - linux, what matters is which version of which program, library or package is less buggy and faster. Anyway, ubuntu still wins the poll
            Distributions are certainly not all the same and it's valid to expect performance differences between them.

Yes it does matter (as far as the relevancy of the benchmarks themselves, anyway). It also matters in the real world. Kernel version, kernel configuration options, how the distribution is compiled (and with what version of gcc), what rubbish is running in the background and yes, versions of software and libraries being used and what patching they have done for whatever purpose.

Ubuntu is becoming irrelevant to non Ubuntu users ("crying noobs that don't understand"? That's almost funny), because they are diverging from the software that we are going to be using.

Comment

it doesnt really matter, which distro is tested, they are all the same - linux, what matters is which version of which program, library or package is less buggy and faster. Anyway, ubuntu still wins the poll
              Yes, that's the whole point. With Ubuntu you are soon going to be testing Mir/XMir. Every other distro is going to use Wayland. So you're testing completely different software.

In that regard, the voting is basically Ubuntu 30%, everything else 70%. It doesn't really matter what the other option is to me, as long as there is one with Wayland. Continuing to test Ubuntu is fine too.

Comment

So ? thats great, we dont need 100 and one useless copy of the same linux, its good that ubuntu is trying to create something different, something useful. At least they are trying to do something else, not just to create another useless linux distro. And even if ubuntu will fail, its not a big deal, you will still have hundreds of others distros, that are all the same, having one less will not hurt, i think

Comment

So ? thats great, we dont need 100 and one useless copy of the same linux, its good that ubuntu is trying to create something different, something useful. At least they are trying to do something else, not just to create another useless linux distro. And even if ubuntu will fail, its not a big deal, you will still have hundreds of others distros, that are all the same, having one less will not hurt, i think
                  Huh? What's your point?

Nothing wrong with Ubuntu doing it's own thing, but that means Phoronix needs to pick another distro if it still wants to test the "standard" linux, and apparently about 70% of the readership here does want that.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Huh? What's your point?

Nothing wrong with Ubuntu doing it's own thing, but that means Phoronix needs to pick another distro if it still wants to test the "standard" linux, and apparently about 70% of the readership here does want that.
                    I dont see any other distro with bigger than 30% voting.

With the same way i can say that:
                    the 75% want other distro than Fedora
                    the 80% want other than Arch/Manjaro
                    the 85% want other than openSUSE

and so on...

There is no "standard" Linux.

For me Android, Ubuntu, Arch, Puppy Linux etc are "standard" Linux. Like it or not thats the Linus Torvald's opinion too.
                    Last edited by verde; 28 July 2013, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X