Vote On The Linux Distro To Be Benchmarked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by verde View Post
    I dont see any other distro with bigger than 30% voting.

With the same way i can say that:
    the 75% want other distro than Fedora
    the 80% want other than Arch/Manjaro
    the 85% want other than openSUSE

and so on...

There is no "standard" Linux.

For me Android, Ubuntu, Arch, Puppy Linux etc are "standard" Linux. Like it or not thats the Linus Torvald's opinion too.
    Yes, and if speak in general, there is no such os as "linux", what it is, is just one big, bloated, oversized kernel + other packages, so you just cannot test linux as you can test a real os like windows or mac os, because windows or mac os is a real os, that people install it to use it, whereas linux, as i already said, is just a bunch of packages with the idea of "general linux". Linux just doesnt have that "one os to rule them all" thing, nor it was made for that.
    Plus, if you would really want to know some test results of some distro, you would just install it and test it yourself on your hardware, because even if there would be some test results on phoronix you want, but it wouldnt be done on your hardware, so it would be useless for you.

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
      So ? thats great, we dont need 100 and one useless copy of the same linux, its good that ubuntu is trying to create something different, something useful. At least they are trying to do something else, not just to create another useless linux distro. And even if ubuntu will fail, its not a big deal, you will still have hundreds of others distros, that are all the same, having one less will not hurt, i think
      so you're calling all Linux's useless well lets see how well this Xmir Thing Works out in Ubuntu 13.10 SS

Comment

Debian testing (current).

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
          I dont see any other distro with bigger than 30% voting.

With the same way i can say that:
          the 75% want other distro than Fedora
          the 80% want other than Arch/Manjaro
          the 85% want other than openSUSE

and so on...

There is no "standard" Linux.

For me Android, Ubuntu, Arch, Puppy Linux etc are "standard" Linux. Like it or not thats the Linus Torvald's opinion too.
          As startzz pointed out, it's not the distro name that is important. It's what software and what versions of that software it uses that are.

Which means the results are Mir: 30%, Wayland 70%.

The distro name is meaningless.

Comment

Fedora 19? Seriously??? Ubuntu rocks and there's a reason for that, actually why Canonical got it, and the rest simply didn't.

I checked out Fedora 19 installation when installing with Windows 7. No indication that the installer understood I had Windows 7, it just drove me through the partitioning installation like it assumed I was some wizard in a basement or something.

Ubuntu 13.04. Runs like rails. Completely 100% user friendly. It detected my Windows 7, asked me do I want to install my Ubuntu alongside it, sure I said I want to and I didn't need to bother with partitioning or risking losing my existing data.

That's professional! And that's the explanation why Ubuntu and not other distros. The ubiquity installer is open source, but why don't other distros use it? Nah they know better. They don't want people as their users who may confuse their computer with their toaster, people who prefer stuff to just work, so they can open word(they think it's word when in fact its libreoffice they are running).

But phoronix users they can tell the difference between a toaster and a computer. Good for you. Also many of them are wizards, even though they may not live in basements(stereotypes).

Comment

Working...
            X