Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    I like what i see for the first 100 votes, ubuntu+xubuntu are just 30% of all votes. That clearly means something - majority does not care about *buntus .
    Since you apparently have selective comprehension, let me point out that there is no clear majority in this poll and Ubuntu is the leading vote-getter (so far). That's okay though, just keep seeing what you want to see...

Comment

Yep, voting is funny . That IS situation Michael have even before this voting:

Ubuntu is single majority, but also majority of phoronix readers does not care about Ubuntu - both are TRUE

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier to just choose one base distribution? A distro mostly using generic upstream stable packages with minimal patching. And then that same distro using the latest unstable git/svn/etc packages meant for testing (mesa/ffmpeg/etc). In this case it also might be prudent to choose a minimal window manager/DE so as to not skew results.

Having those base stable and unstable benchmarks, you could then specifically test other DEs/distributions which apply heavy customizations so as to ascertain performance hits/improvements from such customizations.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
          There is Xubuntu but not Kubuntu, how strange
          Totally agree. I would have voted for kubuntu but had to chose ubuntu. I'm pretty sure kubuntu would be far more popular than the other *buntu derivatives.

Comment

I like what i see for the first 100 votes, ubuntu+xubuntu are just 30% of all votes. That clearly means something - majority does not care about *buntus .
            Ubuntu gets around 67% of Facebook Likes for Linux distributions, so actually it's pretty popular.

Comment

look's like Mint users dont like Phoronix..

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                Ubuntu gets around 67% of Facebook Likes for Linux distributions, so actually it's pretty popular.
                Facebook is the Devil!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by grenadecx View Post
                  Only problem is, all are suited. The only reason why this poll exist in the first place is people complaining about the benchmarks that was taken using Ubuntu.
                  They can all be used for testing, but they are not all equally suited for the sort of testing done here. If they were all suited equally then some distros wouldn't have been excluded in the first place.

Some distros make it easier to install individual pieces of bleeding-edge software while keeping the existing stable base for everything else by offering packages for this software. Some distros have better support for the range of software and configurations tested at Phoronix than others. Some distros make it easier to quickly test multiple different software configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                    I don't have FB account, but i read phoronix for nearly 6 years .

Comment

Yep, voting is funny . That IS situation Michael have even before this voting:

Ubuntu is single majority, but also majority of phoronix readers does not care about Ubuntu - both are TRUE
                      Which translate into most people do not give rats ass about *buntus, but do care about the main stack of software sitting on top of the Linux kernel. And this is where Canonical is shooting itself in the foot, in suffering from NIH and a lack of will to cooperate. If we take only into account the technical arguments for choosing a distro to test the graphic stack on, I just cannot see how any distro is easier, more "correct" (ouch, flaimbaite...) or in other ways better than openSUSE.

Comment

Working...
                      X