Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by synaptix View Post
    Ubuntu is settled in the Isle of Man.
    Canonical had subsidiaries in a whole bunch of countries. http://www.canonical.com/about-canon...ct/our-offices

I think they are heading development in London.

Comment

• Originally posted by rambutan View Post
      I use Arch but voted for Fedora.

A "prepackaged" distro is more suitable for testing than a distro that can be whatever you want, and Fedora is quite standard, up to date, uses mostly unmodified upstreams, has spins with most popular DEs...

Ubuntu seems to me the worst option now because of Mir.
      Arch-based Manjaro is a 'prepackaged' distro.

Comment

• Originally posted by LEW21 View Post
        Not true. I'm using Arch, and I've voted for Fedora. I think that more noob-friendly distro than Arch should be featured. And both Fedora and Arch are quite similar in that both try to be bleeding-edge and vanilla, unlike for example openSUSE (YaST) and of course Ubuntu (Mir! Upstart!)
        Arch-based Manjaro is more noob-friendly than Archlinux.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Yea, I'd say that the choice should be made according to technical concerns, rather than popularity. While there are a lot of users voting for what in their opinion is the best benchmarking platform, as we saw in the last thread there are still a lot of users who just vote for their favourite. For one, I have no idea why Gentoo and Arch are even mentioned in this poll...

To make a reminder for everyone:
          • Ubuntu is not a good benchmarking platform for the future, when it goes with Mir by default, since it would not be representative of the majority of Linux distributions.
          • Fedora is a good choice in terms of being bleeding edge, thus a good benchmarking target, but its debug builds are a problem, even when you can install the nodebug kernel (since not only it has debugging on, as far as I know).
          • openSUSE seems to be the best target overall, since it does not have the debug problem, has OBS that provides a variety of packages, and has SUSEStudio that allows creating snapshots of a system state in a LiveCD form, while also allowing for rapid deployment.
          • Arch and Gentoo take too long to set up to be worth benchmarking, given Michael's limited time. The two options probably literally mean Sabayon and Manjaro, not the actual Gentoo and Arch.
          • Debian Sid is a good choice in terms of not being as rock-stable as the main Debian, but its rolling-release status is problematic due to there being no reference point that would allow others to reproduce the results.
          • Xubuntu and Mint are also good choices in terms of stability, although their future is still not set in stone. It's also not clear if Mint means Ubuntu Mint or Debian Mint, but presumably it's the former.

Quite frankly I'm surprised that Xubuntu and Mint got so low votes.

Unless there is a second round with only two options, in which case one of them will get more or equal to 50%. Or it could be two options and a "neither" option to see how many people are actually not satisfied with either option. Because overall it seems that people have priority lists, and even if the third from their list wins, they will still be satisfied.
          Manjaro is fully compatible with Archlinux, and take no long to setup for benchmarking.

Comment

• Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
            I voted for Fedora but use Arch, however I see trouble with SELINUX being a representative as I would wager most use Vanilla-ish kernels.

Arch is awesome but too technical for casual Linux users, I just couldn't vote for it. Ubuntu/Mint should be used until Ubuntu strays too far away from distro solidarity.

Manjaro is a casual user-friendly Arch.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
              Google has been paying them too Mark also said how he likes windows 8 and that MS did a really good job on it
              They took Google's money! Evil!

Comment

thats why they're called statistics Facebook boy how many times you going to reply to the same post? and the Deta i posted was not wrong you're wrong "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" only the NSA has hard data even more do to them nice NSA len's
                It's just amusing that your data shows Ubuntu being the most popular. I thought you were trying to prove the opposite.

Comment

• Steam data

I think Steam Hardware Survey data says it all:

Ubuntu outmatches other distros combined. If Phoronix is to remain a Linux Gaming (not fanboy) website, Ubuntu is the obvious choice.

Comment

thats why they're called statistics Facebook boy how many times you going to reply to the same post? and the Deta i posted was not wrong you're wrong "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" only the NSA has hard data even more do to them nice NSA len's
                    How old are you, boy? Your writing is barely intelligible.

Comment

• Manjaro Features

Manjaro shares many of the same features as Arch, including:
                      ? Speed, power, and efficiency
                      ? Access to the very latest cutting and bleeding edge software
                      ? A 'rolling release' development model that provides the most up-to-date system possible without the need to install new versions
                      ? Access to the Arch User Repositories, and
                      ? The versatility to be shaped and moulded in every respect to suit personal taste and preference.

However, Manjaro boasts a few extra features of its own, including:
                      ? A simplifed, user-friendly installation process
                      ? Automatic detection of your computer's hardware (e.g. graphics cards)
                      ? Automatic installation of the necessary software (e.g. graphics drivers) for your system
                      ? Dedicated software repositories that deliver fully tested and stable software packages, and
                      ? Support for the easy installation and use of multiple kernels

Comment

Working...
                      X