Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wayland Gets A Simple Drawing Library

Default Wayland Gets A Simple Drawing Library

Phoronix: Wayland Gets A Simple Drawing Library

A simple drawing library has been created for Wayland in the process of porting a simple terminal and dynamic menu system from X11 to Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQyMTQ

I wonder what type of apps is he creating with this extremely limited drawing library.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    I wonder what type of apps is he creating with this extremely limited drawing library.
    Well, if you read the article you would have seen:

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix
    wanting to port ST (a simple terminal emulator for X) and Dmenu (a dynamic menu for X) to Wayland.

Software that sucks less. I wonder if this library will help in making DWM for wayland, having a good tiling compositor would be awesome.

But it if doesn't suck while the rest does, why don't we have it on gnome/kde desktops by default, conspiracy?

But it if doesn't suck while the rest does, why don't we have it on gnome/kde desktops by default, conspiracy?
    Stuff from this site is for people that know C and love to hack and tune their desktops, definitely not for someone that just wants a complete environment. Personally, i prefer slightly more bloated but convenient stuff, like i3 and rxvt-unicode. Dmenu was irreplacable until i replaced it with interrobang.
    Last edited by kaszak; 07-27-2013 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaszak View Post
    Software that sucks less. I wonder if this library will help in making DWM for wayland, having a good tiling compositor would be awesome.
    How about TWM?

Stuff from this site is for people that know C and love to hack and tune their desktops, definitely not for someone that just wants a complete environment. Personally, i prefer slightly more bloated but convenient stuff, like i3 and rxvt-unicode. Dmenu was irreplacable until i replaced it with interrobang.
    They should have named it unussable then. Not suck less.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    How about TWM?
    Oh, the horror!
    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    They should have named it unussable then. Not suck less.
    It is usable if you are willing to sacrifice some time to fine-tune and modify it to your liking, otherwise not so much.
    Last edited by kaszak; 07-27-2013 at 04:05 AM.

It is usable if you are willing to sacrifice some time to fine-tune and modify it to your liking, otherwise not so much.
    It was tongue in cheek. Projects like that are just for the people that wrote them and a few more geeky/"i use this unknown WM which makes me cool"/i only need a terminal etc people. Cool for them but pointless for everybody else.