No announcement yet.

R600 Gallium3D Loses To AMD Catalyst Legacy Driver On Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was this the stock AMD WDDM 1.1 drivers, 13.1 legacy or 13.4 beta legacy?

I found that WDDM, 13.1 and 13.4 are all terrible when it comes to coming. My gaming performance with those drivers on an HD4200 IGP was horrid compared to latest drivers on Windows 7.

Comment

Nice work Michael, you got all the combinations I wanted to see.

Comment

The news here is: Catalyst is losing more and more of its edge against the free driver. Last year we were speaking about 1/6th of the performance across the board, now we're talking about 1/2, 1/3.

Now please, Mesa guys, boost that triangle figure! If we focus in GPUTest / Triangle we can have some serious optimizations.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          Second that.

For latency avrg is equal to avrg FPS... Here is some good article about good methodology for couting and comparing latency:

Hope its easy enought to integrate into PTS.
          Maybe adding a Frame Time Variance to PTS would be a good thing then.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            AFAIK Blender is using GL_SELECT which is not hardware accelerated in mesa. There has been a mesa patch though I think.
            If what you say is true, then how come the problem started to happen like 6-8 months ago with a mesa update ? It sounds like a regression to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              Useless comparison... Apples to oranges...
              What? No.

You're comparing different operating systems with different drivers, yes. But that's the point... this is what the end user will see. The open source driver is the default/standard on Linux systems, whereas Catalyst is the only option for Windows. It makes sense to compare whether or not Radeon on Linux can compete with Catalyst on Windows, especially when using "legacy" hardware.

I'm really happy with Radeon's progress lately. Still too slow for "real" usage, but it's really getting there. I don't even think of FGLRX anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Newfie View Post
                What? No.

You're comparing different operating systems with different drivers, yes. But that's the point... this is what the end user will see. The open source driver is the default/standard on Linux systems, whereas Catalyst is the only option for Windows. It makes sense to compare whether or not Radeon on Linux can compete with Catalyst on Windows, especially when using "legacy" hardware.

I'm really happy with Radeon's progress lately. Still too slow for "real" usage, but it's really getting there. I don't even think of FGLRX anymore.
                well i would not say too slow, since in most test is very close to 1/2 and well enough above 60 FPS, sure is still half speed but is progressing very nicely, well if you have passive cooled card you could be right but at least my office 4350 is fast enough for fast desktop

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                  Now please, Mesa guys, boost that triangle figure! If we focus in GPUTest / Triangle we can have some serious optimizations.
                  The result of Triangle benchmark is above 100 thousands on my 5750 with r600g and I don't think that 4870 renders single triangle 7 times slower. It seems something is wrong with Michael's results, maybe some problem with compositor/Ubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                    AFAIK Blender is using GL_SELECT which is not hardware accelerated in mesa. There has been a mesa patch though I think.
                    I confirm that.

Comment

Originally posted by vadimg View Post
                      The result of Triangle benchmark is above 100 thousands on my 5750 with r600g and I don't think that 4870 renders single triangle 7 times slower. It seems something is wrong with Michael's results, maybe some problem with compositor/Ubuntu?
                      Vadim, did you expect better performance out of selected test-cases? Lately I had the impression we are *very* close to catalyst.

Comment

Working...
                      X