Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Distribution Should Be Benchmarked The Most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Temar View Post
    You are raising an interesting point. Where does a "genuine" Linux distribution start and where does it end?
    May be he (could be she), is talking about http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/

Comment

• Arch should be benchmarked

While i am a (very happy) Mint user, i think Arch and maybe slackware should be benchmarked.
      Maybe results compared to a more user-friendly distro, like ubuntu.

Comment

• Fanboysm?

I think not.

I think, more often than not, it's simply just a case of a persons experience with linux and they jsut want to see it promoted.

That's a GOOD thing.

But I'm biased. I'm me. I can't not be.
        Hi

Comment

• Sadly, I think Fedora is going to get the vote. Like many others I find OpenSuSE to be the better choice with it's Open Build Service and SuSE Studio for making and distributing a PTS Spin. In the end it is up to Michael to decide the way he wants to run things.

On a side note, God only knows how many times Q voted...

Comment

• Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
            Sadly, I think Fedora is going to get the vote. Like many others I find OpenSuSE to be the better choice with it's Open Build Service and SuSE Studio for making and distributing a PTS Spin. In the end it is up to Michael to decide the way he wants to run things.

On a side note, God only knows how many times Q voted...
            i seen ppl using the SuSE Studio to make debian spin's

Comment

• Debian!!!!!

Debian!!!!

Comment

• The only way to make this an "unbiased" poll, would be for Michael to write a laundry list of features he needs and goals he's trying to achieve when benchmarking. That way, the suggestions would be hopefully only distros that meet these minimum features and goals.

Examples: Have GUI, Have compositing and non-compositing GUI's available, Most have reasonable user base (that way what he tests a actually mean something to readers, ect)

That would be the intelligent way of doing a poll vs what we have here which is fanboyish post supporting thier own distro of chioce, not thinking of the goals of the benchmarking Michael is trying to achieve.

Comment

• Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  The only way to make this an "unbiased" poll, would be for Michael to write a laundry list of features he needs and goals he's trying to achieve when benchmarking. That way, the suggestions would be hopefully only distros that meet these minimum features and goals.
                  I think your expectations for this forum are a little high.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    I astronomically was

Anyway I was thinking about a poll on which every user could select more than one distro. It's not unusual someone votes for two or three distros for different workloads (home, work, family, etc).
                    Last edited by jijitus; 29 July 2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• It's fairly easy to install and doesn't deviate much from "the conventional desktop Linux" stack as you say.

Comment

Working...
                      X