Wayland, Weston 1.2 Development Statistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonnor View Post
    Roughly 1 million for the server, according to Ohloh. http://www.ohloh.net/p/xorg-server
    There are two repository entries though, so migth be that its actually ~500K
    2.5M for the whole project, though this also includes things that Wayland can/will make use of, like Mesa. http://www.ohloh.net/p/x
    Thanks, that's an interesting comparison. I realise they're not directly comparable, but when the X server is many times the size in terms of codebase then it really hits home how much more streamlined Wayland is.

Comment

When you're creating API and protocols, seems to me you spend most of the time designing, documenting and little time coding.
      I don't know what you expected to look like by making such comment.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$
        Might as well give up. That is the shittiest development speed I've ever seen. 20k LOC in 5 fucking years? My grandma codes faster than that and she's dead! 70k LOC from 100 devs? Hahahaha. Such a joke is wayland and weston. They code like they're just figuring out programming. They should just admit failure already.
        Yeah, how dare they try to keep the keep base lean and focused.

Let me guess, if it was a lot of lines of code, you would be complaining about it being bloated.

Comment

No I wouldn't. If they had 1 million LOC in five years I would have been seriously impressed.
          Sure, whatever you say.

And I notice you ignore the first part of what I said.

Comment

No I wouldn't. If they had 1 million LOC in five years I would have been seriously impressed.
            LOL
            So what really matter is the LOC number?
            If you need to memorize 10 numbers, do you utilize 10 variables (choice A) or do you utilize an array (choice B)?
            Well, if you utilize 10 variables, you will write more LOC and the stupid people like BO$$ will be happy.
            Unfortunately, the rest of the world will laugh to you so much.

Comment

Trying to argue with bozley is like getting in a shit-throwing contest with a monkey. You get covered in shit, and the monkey is the only one enjoying it...

Comment

GNOME

Roadmap for GNOME: https://wiki.gnome.org/Wayland#Proposed_roadmap
                - GNOME 3.10 (Sep 2013): X still default, basic wayland support
                - GNOME 3.12 (Mar 2014): Complete port of GNOME to Wayland

Bug for tracking Wayland support across the various components: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=wayland

Mutter status support: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=671741

Comment

Might as well give up. That is the shittiest development speed I've ever seen. 20k LOC in 5 fucking years? My grandma codes faster than that and she's dead! 70k LOC from 100 devs? Hahahaha. Such a joke is wayland and weston. They code like they're just figuring out programming. They should just admit failure already.
                  Ungrateful git.

The really hard work - work being done largely by the people involved with Wayland - is in porting the various toolkits and libraries away from X.

If they didn't do this work, neither Wayland nor Mir would have been possible. Even if you're rooting for Mir over Wayland, the work of these individuals still deserves your fucking respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapion View Post
                    Ungrateful git.

The really hard work - work being done largely by the people involved with Wayland - is in porting the various toolkits and libraries away from X.

If they didn't do this work, neither Wayland nor Mir would have been possible. Even if you're rooting for Mir over Wayland, the work of these individuals still deserves your fucking respect.
                    That, and mostly breaking the whole graphic stack in smaller, less interdependent parts, like mesa, DRM, and all that, which has been silently done during the last 5 years, and is the work upon which Wayland (and Mir) is done.

Wayland (and Mir) wasn't possible 5 years ago, and most of the work to make it happen was made in kernel and X trees.
                    That's the reason behind Wayland low LOC count, and Mir "fast" development.

Comment

Wayland isn't small because they are some great coders but because it doesn't do much!
                      Amen! Small manageable components that do one thing well. That's the Unix way!

Oh, sorry, did you mean that as an insult? Well, in that case, X has more lines of code than Wayland and Mir combined. You're probably best off sticking with that.

Comment

Working...
                      X