hd 7950 vs gtx 660 ti proprietary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hd 7950 vs gtx 660 ti proprietary?

Generally, the two are on par in regards to price and performance on Windows, but does this hold true for Linux proprietary drivers? The best I could find was Michael's 680 comparison, but that wasn't exactly fair...

I've heard terrible things about Catalyst, but then again that was many years ago... Maybe stick to Nvidia just to be safe?

If you are going to be using the proprietary drivers then yeah definitely stick with nVidia. Their binary drivers aren't perfect, it has some somewhat rare bugs that still havent been fixed after years, but are pretty damn good drivers if you don't run into them.

Catalyst in my humble opinion is a steaming pile of worthless crap.

The OSS radeon drivers for R600 class GPU's is fantastic, they need need more time to mature. For the Southern Islands chips radeonsi still has some catching up to do, but if r600g is any indication they will turn out to be awesome too.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      If you are going to be using the proprietary drivers then yeah definitely stick with nVidia. Their binary drivers aren't perfect, it has some somewhat rare bugs that still havent been fixed after years, but are pretty damn good drivers if you don't run into them.

Catalyst in my humble opinion is a steaming pile of worthless crap.

The OSS radeon drivers for R600 class GPU's is fantastic, they need need more time to mature. For the Southern Islands chips radeonsi still has some catching up to do, but if r600g is any indication they will turn out to be awesome too.
      Yikes. Thanks for the advice! I'll stick with nvidia.

Comment

Working...
      X