Canonical Lowers Ubuntu Edge Pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by akincer View Post
    you're right there is no benefit to using a smart phone as a desktop. Other than only having to buy and maintain a single computing device.
    Which you keep in your pocket, and if you happen to lose it, you'll lose all your data and any means of computing or connecting to the net.

And having your data always accessible without having to use the cloud or sync devices (did you forget to sync and now have conflicting versions?).
    Sync can be automated, every time you connect your phone to your desktop, or even every time it's in the proximity (via bluetooth/wifi). Not an issue. Whereas with only a phone, your data is tied to a small device that can easily break, be lost or stolen.

There's also having all your apps with you at all times and being able to access them without having to digg your laptop out (because that is so much fun on a crowded plane).
    All the apps which you can run on a mobile phone. You can't run anything that requires a lot of CPU power, or that isn't available for mobile architectures (ARM).

With a separate desktop + mobile phone, you can still use all the same apps on your mobile, and sync the data with your desktop - even remotely when needed. Also with a desktop you get much more storage space and CPU power, which you could use by remoting to your desktop with your phone over a secure connection.

Other than being completely wrong you are dead on.
    So, you're trying to say I'm right, right?

Comment

you're right there is no benefit to using a smart phone as a desktop. Other than only having to buy and maintain a single computing device. And having your data always accessible without having to use the cloud or sync devices (did you forget to sync and now have conflicting versions?). There's also having all your apps with you at all times and being able to access them without having to digg your laptop out (because that is so much fun on a crowded plane).

Other than being completely wrong you are dead on.
      "no benefit to using a smart phone as a desktop" This

whats the point of having a Phone at a Desktop and you can't have all your app's on your Phone that lame as hell let me do some 3D work on my Phone and see what happens, you can use a 500$ Desktop to do 3d work or even Video Editing, what good is this Phone going to do some one like me as a Desktop None, i'm not a Office Worker.... Also can This Phone Run DOTA 2? or even Wine Games?, let point out a 10 year old game that run's well on Wine even on Shitty Hardware, WoW will it run on this Phone? i know it will on a really low end APU from AMD even low end laptop's and some tablet's will run WoW, you will be lucky to get any real games to run on it at all

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        "no benefit to using a smart phone as a desktop" This

whats the point of having a Phone at a Desktop and you can't have all your app's on your Phone that lame as hell let me do some 3D work on my Phone and see what happens, you can use a 500$ Desktop to do 3d work or even Video Editing, what good is this Phone going to do some one like me as a Desktop None, i'm not a Office Worker.... Also can This Phone Run DOTA 2? or even Wine Games?, let point out a 10 year old game that run's well on Wine even on Shitty Hardware, WoW will it run on this Phone? i know it will on a really low end APU from AMD even low end laptop's and some tablet's will run WoW, you will be lucky to get any real games to run on it at all
        You are clearly not the target for this phone

And that's fine. I just think a lot of people need only one powerful desktop at home for video editing and/or gaming, and the rest are thin computing portable devices anyways (chromebooks, tablets, etc). This phone adds a welcome, extra dimension to all these other light computing options.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Which you can do on Android anyway so I'm not sure what point you're making...?

you can run existing Linux apps on Android? Since when? Maybe I missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            Which you keep in your pocket, and if you happen to lose it, you'll lose all your data and any means of computing or connecting to the net.

Sync can be automated, every time you connect your phone to your desktop, or even every time it's in the proximity (via bluetooth/wifi). Not an issue. Whereas with only a phone, your data is tied to a small device that can easily break, be lost or stolen.

All the apps which you can run on a mobile phone. You can't run anything that requires a lot of CPU power, or that isn't available for mobile architectures (ARM).

With a separate desktop + mobile phone, you can still use all the same apps on your mobile, and sync the data with your desktop - even remotely when needed. Also with a desktop you get much more storage space and CPU power, which you could use by remoting to your desktop with your phone over a secure connection.

So, you're trying to say I'm right, right?
            or someone could steal your laptop and phone. There's a lot of challenges to days preservation. syncing to your laptop only possibly solves one. won't help if you lose your phone before the next sync.

There is absolutely nothing that says this HAS to be an ARM device. Nothing period the end.

No you're just wrong wrong and more wrong. You can't go further on the wrong spectrum than you currently are standing. so just sit back and roll around in your wrongness because you're drowning in it.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
              You are clearly not the target for this phone

And that's fine. I just think a lot of people need only one powerful desktop at home for video editing and/or gaming, and the rest are thin computing portable devices anyways (chromebooks, tablets, etc). This phone adds a welcome, extra dimension to all these other light computing options.
              AMD has a APU tablet you can game on and on top of that Razer has a Pro Gamer tablet using a i7 and a NVIDIA GT 640M LE (2GB DDR3, Optimus Technology) http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-edge-pro the 128GB one starts at US$1,299.99

i have a Android Phone as well but no way in hell can it replace a Desktop and its even bad to Use Phones for Desktop do to how hot they get

Comment

or someone could steal your laptop and phone.
                But a laptop is harder to steal, or lose, than a phone that fits in your pocket. Not to mention a desktop computer that sits in your home, which is even harder to steal or lose. I know some people who go through phones on a monthly basis due to losing them, dropping them in toilets (really!), having them stolen or dropping them from high places etc. etc.

There's a lot of challenges to days preservation. syncing to your laptop only possibly solves one. won't help if you lose your phone before the next sync.
                No one said anything about laptop. But let's see, if you want to use your phone as a laptop, you'll have to lug around a laptop-sized device (some kind of dock with monitor + keyboard), and at that point why not just lug around an actual laptop that you can connect your phone to? Syncing is not a problem, it can even be done constantly at real time via bluetooth/wifi like I already said. Now if you have everything in one device, if you lose it, there goes all your data. If you have laptop + phone, if you lose one of them, you'll still have your data on the other. Even if the syncing is off by a day, you'll still have a day old backup which is a whole hell of a lot better than nothing.

Even better is, where you have your desktop at home, and phone which you use for mobile computing. We were talking about specifically using phone as a desktop computer, were we not? Desktop computers no longer have to be monster sized. There are mini desktops where the case is about the size of a router or a small DVD player. There are desktop-replacement laptopts, which are too big to carry around but work nicely as portable desktops. When you're moving around, you can use your phone, and when you need to use your desktop, you use your desktop. With only a phone, when your phone is not docked to the dock, the dock is useless, a waste of space. With a working desktop, you can use both at the same time if needed.

There is absolutely nothing that says this HAS to be an ARM device. Nothing period the end.
                Except that intel SoC:s really aren't much better, at this point. The point is, any CPU that goes in a phone is inadequate at running anything CPU-intensive. Plus you'll get problems with heating and battery use.

No you're just wrong wrong and more wrong. You can't go further on the wrong spectrum than you currently are standing. so just sit back and roll around in your wrongness because you're drowning in it.
                Temper, temper. Use your indoors voice, or you won't get any dessert today.

You've yet to give one good reason why using a phone as a desktop computer is desirable, or what advantage is there to doing so. The fact that any attempts to create these types of docking systems have always failed seems to support my position. If such a scheme really were so advantageous, someone would have brought it to the market already. But it just doesn't work.

Comment

Too bad their payment options are the usual good for nothing traitors who all teamed up against wikileaks(credit cards, Paypay/Paypal). They won't get my money! Nah, Bitcoin is too young for you and assymetric cryptography and SHA-256 is too advanced for you oh no. Continue accepting whatever since cryptocurrency at this age is limited in market share. Anyway, you don't want my money and you don't want my contribution, you Canonical suckers.

Comment

you can run existing Linux apps on Android? Since when? Maybe I missed that.
                    Since forever?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      Since forever?
                      I never tried, so maybe you can since it IS Linux underneath. I'm guessing you'd have to root it and hack it into pretty much nothing resembling Android?

But a laptop is harder to steal, or lose, than a phone that fits in your pocket. Not to mention a desktop computer that sits in your home, which is even harder to steal or lose. I know some people who go through phones on a monthly basis due to losing them, dropping them in toilets (really!), having them stolen or dropping them from high places etc. etc.
                      And I know people that have destroyed many laptops due to dropping, spilling drinks and lots of other unexplained damage.

"No, I don't know how that screen got shattered."
                      "You mean I shouldn't spray Windex directly onto the keyboard?"

Yes, I've heard those and many like them quite a few times.

No one said anything about laptop. But let's see, if you want to use your phone as a laptop, you'll have to lug around a laptop-sized device (some kind of dock with monitor + keyboard), and at that point why not just lug around an actual laptop that you can connect your phone to? Syncing is not a problem, it can even be done constantly at real time via bluetooth/wifi like I already said. Now if you have everything in one device, if you lose it, there goes all your data. If you have laptop + phone, if you lose one of them, you'll still have your data on the other. Even if the syncing is off by a day, you'll still have a day old backup which is a whole hell of a lot better than nothing.

Even better is, where you have your desktop at home, and phone which you use for mobile computing. We were talking about specifically using phone as a desktop computer, were we not? Desktop computers no longer have to be monster sized. There are mini desktops where the case is about the size of a router or a small DVD player. There are desktop-replacement laptopts, which are too big to carry around but work nicely as portable desktops. When you're moving around, you can use your phone, and when you need to use your desktop, you use your desktop. With only a phone, when your phone is not docked to the dock, the dock is useless, a waste of space. With a working desktop, you can use both at the same time if needed.
                      And if you are terribly worried about data loss, you can back your data up to a hard drive at night with an Ubuntu phone.

Except that intel SoC:s really aren't much better, at this point. The point is, any CPU that goes in a phone is inadequate at running anything CPU-intensive. Plus you'll get problems with heating and battery use.
                      Someone doing something extremely CPU intensive is probably not a good candidate for a product like this. I don't think they're trying to market it as a replacement for ALL desktops. But some? Absolutely. The only question is to what extent the candidates for replacement extend.

You've yet to give one good reason why using a phone as a desktop computer is desirable, or what advantage is there to doing so. The fact that any attempts to create these types of docking systems have always failed seems to support my position. If such a scheme really were so advantageous, someone would have brought it to the market already. But it just doesn't work.
                      I have. For whatever reason you've tried (terribly) to say they aren't good reasons. I could introduce you to quite a few people I know that would LOVE to have a true convergent device that would fit their computing needs. And they don't do anything CPU intensive. These are very stereotypical people I'm talking about, so I know they aren't anomalies. What percentage of end users to they represent? 5%? 10%? I don't know, but once we have a device that fits the bill, we'll find out. It's probably worth pointing out that people thought the Galaxy Note would never sell. You sound a lot like those people in your arguments.

The challenge in bringing a device like this has ALWAYS been about the software and the lack of capability of moving to and from different form factors in a graceful manner. Some could argue Windows 8 has been the best attempt so far. But that's not saying much since previous attempts were trainwrecks.

Whether you love or hate Unity (or just accept I suppose), the purpose of that project has been to build an interface that would scale to other form factors. Going phone size was only a natural extension of that effort. It is my opinion that Ubuntu stands an infinitely better chance of being successful than Microsoft in this project because there's not piles of legacy cash cows sitting around demanding things that will get in the way.

Comment

Working...
                      X