Canonical Lowers Ubuntu Edge Pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    AMD has a APU tablet you can game on and on top of that Razer has a Pro Gamer tablet using a i7 and a NVIDIA GT 640M LE (2GB DDR3, Optimus Technology) http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-edge-pro the 128GB one starts at US$1,299.99

i have a Android Phone as well but no way in hell can it replace a Desktop and its even bad to Use Phones for Desktop do to how hot they get
    Your name has "gamer" inside and you're praising something with a graphics card that has DDR3?

Oh also, laptops get very hot. The graphics card and CPU inside can hit 85-90?C easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      Your name has "gamer" inside and you're praising something with a graphics card that has DDR3?
      You don't need a GPU with 512-bit DDR5 to be a gamer.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
        Do you really believe that a smartphone with quad-core CPU, 128GB SSD and sapphire crystal screen protector that can run native Ubuntu OS if you dock it with mini HDMI cable will cost 300$ in the next 10 months?
        Can someone enlighten me as to why people are saying it has a SSD? As far as I can tell from the crowdfund page it says 128GB storage, nothing about SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Caledar View Post
          Can someone enlighten me as to why people are saying it has a SSD? As far as I can tell from the crowdfund page it says 128GB storage, nothing about SSD.
          Pure speculation which is quite amusing. "It's going to be ARM" despite that not being said anywhere nor being required is another example.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
            i do see them making it to the 32mil even befor this, it's just if the Phone end's up being a POS this may Doom Canonical, and in the pasts Canonical has had the worst QA out of any big player i seen, well maybe MS is just as bad any one remember Windows 95? in 2000 or vista? and, if the phone break after the 28day you're SOL a 700$ to 900$ paper weight and the Phone is GSM only so in the US it's T-mobile or AT&T if you even get support from them at all
            You got any citations for this at all my handicapped friend?

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              Which you keep in your pocket, and if you happen to lose it, you'll lose all your data and any means of computing or connecting to the net.
              I'm sure that it's not going to replace your desktop, it's more of a companion device like a laptop or tablet.
              And Ubuntu will probably be recommending that you keep a backup of all your contacts and files on Ubuntu One, which is sensible to do on any device that has the potential to be stolen.

I'm personally hoping that someone makes a device like the Celio Redfly for this phone, if anyone can remember those things.

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
                I never tried, so maybe you can since it IS Linux underneath. I'm guessing you'd have to root it and hack it into pretty much nothing resembling Android?
                Doesn't Android have an NDK? I ported mplayer2 to the HP TouchPad awhile ago and it was somewhat trivial. I can't imagine it being any more difficult on Android.

The biggest stumbling block IMO is getting around the sandbox but that's not really related to the programming language choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Caledar View Post
                  At 128 GB, what else would it be? It's too big to be the usual onboard flash, and obviously it's not going to be spinning disk...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                    At 128 GB, what else would it be? It's too big to be the usual onboard flash, and obviously it's not going to be spinning disk...
                    What's the difference? SSD's use flash memory anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

Oh also, laptops get very hot. The graphics card and CPU inside can hit 85-90?C easily.
                      Its weird the Nvidia site for razer edge pro says NVIDIA GT 640M LE (2GB DDR3, Optimus Technology)

however the GT 640M LE specs are Memory Size:2048 MB Memory Type: GDDR5 Memory Bus: 128 bit Bandwidth: 50.2 GB/s

Comment

Working...
                      X