Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 107

Thread: XBMC Ported To Run On Mir Display Server

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    I think that for instance the Steam client was developed using only X.
    Yes, the steam client uses mostly the direct X libraries. But once SDL2 is finalized and released they should be rewriting the client for SDL2 (especially given the fact they hired and are paying the SDL2 writer to continue to write SDL2 instead of giving him something else)

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bordeaux, France
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Yes, the steam client uses mostly the direct X libraries. But once SDL2 is finalized and released they should be rewriting the client for SDL2 (especially given the fact they hired and are paying the SDL2 writer to continue to write SDL2 instead of giving him something else)
    Oh, ok!
    So will there be a Wayland / Mir backend for SDL2 ?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    Oh, ok!
    So will there be a Wayland / Mir backend for SDL2 ?
    Scott Moreau already ported SDL1 to Wayland: https://github.com/soreau/SDL/tree/wayland

    Presumably SDL2 will also work on Wayland (and Valve will probably also demand a Mir backend as well)

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    And last but not least to prove that forking is good i will let you compare today Gnome and Unity. Objectively Unity is more polished, modern, productive, feature rich and as Phoronix proved faster DE. Could Canonical do the same feature changes under Gnome? Of course not! You have an answer why Mir exist now.
    As someone who has used Ubuntu for the past 5 years and Unity for most of that time I must say that after finally switching to Fedora a month ago (sick of Ubuntus focus on Mobile over the Desktop) I have found Gnome 3 a much better design and much more polished DE than Unity. Once you get used to using the super key in Gnome 3 you will wonder how you ever lived without it.
    Changing between applications is a breeze especially multiple instances of the same application e.g. multiple firefox windows, is very very fast unlike in Unity where it is a royal PITA.

    Also with Gnome everything works together much more seamlessly which is to be expected as Unity is really just a hack ontop of the Gnome stack.

    I have considered Windows 7 to have the best workflow of any desktop environment for many years but after using Gnome 3 in Fedora 19 I'm starting to think the Gnome developers are really onto a winner.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timothyja View Post
    As someone who has used Ubuntu for the past 5 years and Unity for most of that time I must say that after finally switching to Fedora a month ago (sick of Ubuntus focus on Mobile over the Desktop) I have found Gnome 3 a much better design and much more polished DE than Unity. Once you get used to using the super key in Gnome 3 you will wonder how you ever lived without it.
    Changing between applications is a breeze especially multiple instances of the same application e.g. multiple firefox windows, is very very fast unlike in Unity where it is a royal PITA.

    Also with Gnome everything works together much more seamlessly which is to be expected as Unity is really just a hack ontop of the Gnome stack.

    I have considered Windows 7 to have the best workflow of any desktop environment for many years but after using Gnome 3 in Fedora 19 I'm starting to think the Gnome developers are really onto a winner.
    I would have said the same thing, but Gnome Shell did not work the way it was supposed to.
    The global search would lock as soon as you typed a letter for about five seconds, after which it ran normally. Not so bad, except it happened every time you used global search and it would lock up the whole UI for that time. It got to the point where I had to install KDE and after figuring out how to use KRunner, I haven't looked back.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    First of all I will just say that you dont have evidence for the opposite.

    Second so you are saying that it would be better if we had one opensource media player, browser, office suite, distribution, de, display server except you approve otherwise in each case. I am sorry that's not open-source. Open source means forking. And of course NO ONE can stop you from creating or forking under gplv3. Don't like it. Don't use it. Don't port your app there. or port it and charge it. I can't see any problem there. Mir's problem.

    Third in every project someone must take decisions. Why should Canonical and Wayland cooperate when there is clearly a direction problem between them. Mir is costing Canonical reputiation and money. Shuttleworth is not insane. Stop being haters and think more before judge anything. The easy solution was supporting Wayland. But was the best? I think Canonical is affraid to say public that Wayland is not viable for them. probably for technical reasons. I strongly believe that Ubuntu Touch wouldn't be in that state today with Wayland. Thats of course mine affair.

    And last but not least to prove that forking is good i will let you compare today Gnome and Unity. Objectively Unity is more polished, modern, productive, feature rich and as Phoronix proved faster DE. Could Canonical do the same feature changes under Gnome? Of course not! You have an answer why Mir exist now.
    Just shut up. I'm tired to read that bunch of bullshit every time there is a thread on Mir/Wayland.
    think more before judge anything
    Read more before write bullshit.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timothyja View Post
    Once you get used to using the super key in Gnome 3
    We are 3 decades past the 80s. GUIs designed in this day that require the use of keyboard to be functional are a failure.

    Quote Originally Posted by timothyja View Post
    Changing between applications is a breeze especially multiple instances of the same application e.g. multiple firefox windows, is very very fast unlike in Unity where it is a royal PITA.
    That is interesting to say, as is the primary reason I can't stand Gnome Shell. I find window switching atrocious, counterproductive at least. Having to first switch to activities mode to actually switch windows is equivalent to switching mode in VI in order to edit text. I haven't met a single person that finds the VI switch mode workflow intuitive.

    Unity productivity is a lot better. The always visible task bar on the left makes window switching easy and fast. The dash is used to extract information from the system. The global menu makes best use of the limited vertical space. Now that is an intuitive and productive interface.
    Last edited by zoomblab; 07-24-2013 at 03:21 AM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoomblab View Post
    We are 3 decades past the 80s. GUIs designed in this day that require the use of keyboard to be functional are a failure.
    Well then luckly neither Gnome3 or Unity REQUIRE a keyboard but the are both much faster to use if you do. If you haven't realised the whole idea behind most modern DE's is that its faster to type the name of an app rather than search for it visually then select it with the mouse. Let me guess you copy and paste text using only the mouse too.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoomblab View Post
    That is interesting to say, as is the primary reason I can't stand Gnome Shell. I find window switching atrocious, counterproductive at least. Having to first switch to activities mode to actually switch windows is equivalent to switching mode in VI in order to edit text. I haven't met a single person that finds the VI switch mode workflow intuitive.
    Like I said once you get used to using the super key Gnome 3 beats the rest. If you are using the mouse to select Activities I can see why you would hate it. But thats not how its designed as above keyboard is faster and thats the way modern DE's are headed. Once you hit the super key your mouse is usually already in or near the center of the screen so its really easy to switch apps.

    In Unity you can loose your app in the task bar very easily if you have a few pinned apps and a few open so you need to scroll etc. And if you have more than one window open of the same app you need to right click then selec and click the window you want or left click and you are presented with a selection screen my like the gnome activities screen only worse.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    First of all I will just say that you dont have evidence for the opposite.
    And you can't prove that I don't have an invisible pink unicorn living in my basement. Hey, will you look at that! It's impossible to prove a negative! The burden of proof is on whoever makes a positive claim! Who'd have known? Live and learn!

    This means that since you are making the positive claim that Mir has somehow increased the speed of Wayland development, the burden of proof is on you to prove that this is so.

    Second so you are saying that it would be better if we had one opensource media player, browser, office suite, distribution, de,
    No, I'm not saying that. Stop lying about what I'm saying, you dirty liar.

    display server
    I'm not saying that, either. I'm saying that everyone should use the same protocol, to ensure interoperability and compatibility accross ALL Linux distributions, both desktop and mobile. Wayland is that protocol, everyone is free to implement their own Wayland compositor and do what they want with that codebase, make it GPL2, GPL3, BSD, MIT, whatever license they want.

    except you approve otherwise in each case. I am sorry that's not open-source. Open source means forking. And of course NO ONE can stop you from creating or forking under gplv3. Don't like it. Don't use it. Don't port your app there. or port it and charge it. I can't see any problem there. Mir's problem.
    No, open source means collaboration and sharing of resources. Not forking everything you can and taking advantage of other people's work. Yes forks are allowed, but the purpose is not that everyone makes their own forks of every software. That would defeat the entire point of open source.

    Third in every project someone must take decisions. Why should Canonical and Wayland cooperate when there is clearly a direction problem between them.
    What problem? Canonical hasn't even tried to co-operate with Wayland. They have not even tried to collaborate, they have contributed a very few small patches (which were approved IIRC) but apart from that, they haven't even TRIED to work together with the Wayland devs. No, what they did was publicly endorse Wayland, while at the same time, having their spy among the Wayland devs, so they could figure out how to replicate their work, and secretly worked on their own solution that's basically just replicating other people's work but making it in such a way that only Canonical can use it.

    There is no technical reason for Mir. It's all politics and making Ubuntu separate from other Linux systems.

    Mir is costing Canonical reputiation and money. Shuttleworth is not insane. Stop being haters and think more before judge anything. The easy solution was supporting Wayland. But was the best? I think Canonical is affraid to say public that Wayland is not viable for them. probably for technical reasons. I strongly believe that Ubuntu Touch wouldn't be in that state today with Wayland. Thats of course mine affair.
    You say all that, yet you have absolutely no evidence for any of it. You're just saying it because you WANT to believe it. Classic behaviour of a religious fanboy. And you tell others to "think more"? Doctor, cure yourself first...

    The fact of the matter is, there is no technical reason why Wayland couldn't be used. Wayland is not a display server, it's a protocol. Canonical could still have written their own implementation, they could have used server-side buffer allocations (Wayland allows that), they could have full control of the codebase. They could license it however they wanted. But, see, all the technical reasons Canonical has given have been shown to be lies. The truth is, there is no technical reason. It's all politics.

    For that matter, it's a dumb move that will surely blow up on Canonical's face. When your business depends 99% on code written by the community, it's not a good idea to piss off the community...

    And last but not least to prove that forking is good i will let you compare today Gnome and Unity. Objectively Unity is more polished, modern, productive, feature rich and as Phoronix proved faster DE. Could Canonical do the same feature changes under Gnome? Of course not! You have an answer why Mir exist now.
    That doesn't even make any sense.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    250

    Default

    this mir vs wayland stuff is getting on my nerves. is there no productive thing to say?
    first of all "thank you" to Sam Spilsbury.

    I'd recommend to post your distrubution you use in your signature and tell again that different aproaches are wasted resources. I am pretty sure that there is more but ONE distribution. So it would seem those haters are not more than people agreeing there has to be one god but in the end forking for behavioural stuff. (Like one Display Server but still several DEs)
    by the way Martin Luther didnt want to fork the church. And as far as i know he didnt.
    Besides. Just think what the Linux Ecosystem would be like if Microsoft developers would all start joining linux-distributions. Do you write them hatemails too? ... for not supporting the right OS? F***ing overconfidence, eh?

    And as said we will see if its that bad. Like unity wasnt loved at the beginning.
    And as a company you need to tell investors that you have some kind of thing of your own that no one can change without your permission. they HAVE to do it. And stop being pissed off because others dont work the way you want. thats just so illeducated, self-righteous and intolerant! Pay them and then you'll get to judge their work and decisions.

    and when someone writes it "SEEMS" then because the thing he is gonna say may not be 100% correct and WILL BARE some subjective portion. there really is no need to put him down because he doesnt have the time and maybe technical understanding to read the mailing lists himself. You ready newspapers dont you? But you probably dont read them all, compare and ask victims and witnesses for first hand information (though asking people is hardly the most objective thing in the world...)
    And it is true, that there hasnt been much traffic on Phoronix over wayland just before Mir emerged.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •